Author Topic: New Trial User with a few questions...  (Read 3245 times)

thud

New Trial User with a few questions...
« on: May 11, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
Hi all...

I downloaded and install the Trial verison if Avast! Internet Security.  I spent quite a few hours using/learning it.  I do have a couple of brief questions if anyone would care to address them.

1)  I seen reference to 32bit and 64bit versions.  How do I know which version I am using(I am using Win7 64-bit Home Premium)?

2) How can I temporarily disable it? ( like how it is in ZA where you can rt. click the tray icon and select disable)

3)  Is there a feature in Avast that allows you to control program/application control?  What I mean is, and I am referencing how ZA does it,
   When you run a program for the first time ZA pops up a tray window with what to do(i.e,  Allow, Disable, etc.)  Once you allow it its added to the programs list(similar to the list you see in the avast firewall applications) and its deemed safe and will run subsequently without getting a popup warning.  You can also add ***.exe files to this list to do this and other options(like KILL).  I really like this feature and its good protection to control applications.  I was wondering if Avast offers this?  I didn't noticed it but I am still a novice with Avast.

Thanks for any info..........

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: New Trial User with a few questions...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 11:50:37 PM »
1. there is no 64....but it will run on 64
2. right click avast tray icon
3. yes the sandbox will pop up on suspicious files.....And ask......if sett to ask

something to read.     http://www.avast.com/download-documentation

thud

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 11:53:53 PM »
Thanks Pondus.  I appreciate you taking the time to reply

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 11:57:49 PM »
1) avast will function in both 32 and 64 bit.
2) To disable (not recommended) right click tray icon.
3) With avast you have a choice to make exclusions, or allow the Behavior Shield to show a pop-up.
     AIS has an on demand sandbox while "Free" has an auto-sandbox.

Some resident shields, File Shield and Behavior Shield (to name a couple) have settings which will allow you to configure avast to suit your needs.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 01:28:50 AM »
3)  Is there a feature in Avast that allows you to control program/application control?  What I mean is, and I am referencing how ZA does it,
   When you run a program for the first time ZA pops up a tray window with what to do(i.e,  Allow, Disable, etc.)  Once you allow it its added to the programs list(similar to the list you see in the avast firewall applications) and its deemed safe and will run subsequently without getting a popup warning.  You can also add ***.exe files to this list to do this and other options(like KILL).  I really like this feature and its good protection to control applications.  I was wondering if Avast offers this?  I didn't noticed it but I am still a novice with Avast.

Pondus and Para-Noid, I think the OP was referring to application control within the Firewall. By default, application control is automatic; avast! will decide the rules for new programs. To change this, open up the avast! user interface, go to the firewall tab, click Expert Settings, and under default rules, select Ask.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 04:20:23 AM »
With all due respect if you read the OP you will find that they asking in generalities. The OP alluded to the firewall.

Once you allow it its added to the programs list(similar to the list you see in the avast firewall applications)

The keyword is "similar". The OP was asking about program/application control in general. That is why I pointed out making exclusions in the shields which monitors applications and/or software.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

thud

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 06:31:26 PM »
I appreciate the information provided.  Thank you for enlightening me.  Good luck to you all.

Thud