Author Topic: IMAP problems with version 4.5 ??  (Read 9793 times)

Goner

IMAP problems with version 4.5 ??
« on: December 22, 2004, 01:52:48 PM »
are there any known bugs re. IMAP in 4.5 ??

Had problems connecting (not retrieving mail, i couldn't even connect) after upgrading to 4.5.
So i completely uninstalled Avast and did a clean install.
4.5 now listened on 12143 and no longer on 143 for IMAP so i thought it was working OK, using the new "transparent" checking.

But i still can not connect to the IMAP server using Firefox (had no problems at all with 4.1).
Only 'terminating' the Internet Mail provider or completely shutting down On-Access Protection will allow me to connect to the server. When the provider is running, something blocks Firefox from connecting to the server and i do not even get a password prompt !?!?!

Anyone ??

I now changed avast4.ini so Avast no longer does IMAP checking :

[MailScanner]
StartImap=0

but that is not what i really want ....   :-(

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:IMAP problems with version 4.5 ??
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 01:55:52 PM »
What OS?

Goner

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 01:58:34 PM »
i mean Thunderbird, not Firefox ...  doh.

running Windows 2000 PRO SP4.

funny thing is, it _seemed_ to be working after the clean install, but after some time Avast again starts blocking again ... :-(

- i start Thunderbird ; no connection to IMAP server
- terminate Avast Internet Mail, server asks for password !!
- start Internet Mail again, retrieve mail from server
- after some time Avast blocks again

so it definitely is Avast ... IMHO.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 02:04:39 PM by Goner »

peterfu

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 07:53:12 PM »
Hi Goner,
I have/had a similar setup W2K Pro SP4, Avast 4.5.549, Thunderbird 1.0 - it worked like a charm after I had changed the settings for IMAP in thunderbird as mentioned in this thread:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=8967;start=15

I had a clean install of avast - not changing any settings (except some in the standard shield for file check) - and had all my mail account settings in thunderbird as if avast was not there.

br
Peter

EDIT : What firewall are You using, if any ??
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 07:55:15 PM by peterfu »

Goner

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 08:03:47 PM »
i've read that thread (even posted there, the tip about user.js is very useful), but that thread is about downloading messages ; i can not even log in to the IMAP server !!
once i'm logged in to the IMAP server (after disabling Internet Mail check of course) i can download messages without any problem.

i'm using Agnitum's Outpost firewall.
but it's not the firewall ... the problem stops as soon as i disable Avast mail checking.

peterfu

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 08:12:57 PM »
but it's not the firewall ... the problem stops as soon as i disable Avast mail checking.

Are You sure ?
When You disable mail checking, then thunderbird accesses the internet directly, if You have enabled it then avast accesses the internet this is how I understand it) - so there is definitly a difference for the firewall if you use mail checking or not.

Could You give it a short try with disabled firewall ?

br
Peter

LedZeppelinLady

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 05:21:06 AM »
I cannot get online, every time i try to it says that avast cannot protect incoming and outgoing e-mails from viruses. i am not sure what IMAP is, but it says that it cant protect e-mails. im not sure what version of avast i have, but it also says something about POP3 too. If anybody knows what might be wrong please, please help me out. i even tried completely turning avast off and it still wouldnt let me on...  :'(

peterfu

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2004, 10:03:03 AM »
Hi LedZeppelinLady,
could You please give us some more Informations about Your system, so we are able to think in the right direction:

- What OS are You using ?
- What version of Avast (right click on the blue ball, select "about avast", scroll to the top of the popping up window - there you have the build and the VBS version)
- What e-mail client are you using ?
- any firewall installed ?
- do you have a new avast installation or does your problem occur suddenly ?
- What means " I cannot go online" - is it receiving and sending e-mails ?

br
Peter

LedZeppelinLady

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2004, 06:14:06 PM »
-windows XP
-version 4.5 home eddition (VBS version?? I see VPS file "virus database" compliation date dec. 22 file version 0452-1)
-build: Nov. 2004 (4.5.549)
-I have Microsoft Outlook Express, but it has never worked and i have never used it.
-Windows Firewall
-suddenly i got these messages when i start up my computer and i cannot log onto the internet at all (I'm at a friends house typing this), the messages are as follows:

(top of the windows read: Avast! mail scaning warning)

1) Avast will not be able to protect incoming mail "POP2 Protocal" Error 10106

2) Avast will not be able to protect outgoing mail "SMTP Protocal" Error 10106

3) Avast will not be able to protect in coming mail "IMAP Protocal" Error 10106

please help me in any way that you can, my internet trys to connect over and over and wont, this started happening around the time when i started getting avast errors.

thank you, Jackie

let me know if any more system info or specs will help.

peterfu

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2004, 07:21:08 PM »
VPS is correct, VBS was my fault - sorry
Ok - now we know that you are on the last avast version.

Do You have XP SP2 -  if you don't know it then
Start -> run   - type in there winver and see whats on the screen

What happened before all this error messages appears - have You installed some software ? Visited Web pages ?

br
Peter

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 02:06:38 AM »
i mean Thunderbird, not Firefox
Ok, have you done as is explained in another thread? (altering the settings in a TB file for imap?)

Goner

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 12:47:49 PM »
the one about user.js ??
yeah ... but that doesn't help. that solves a problem with downloading IMAP messages ... I can not even log in.

Thunderbird and IMAP work just fine on my laptop where i use McAfee's Virusscan Enterprise 7.1, but on my home desktop with Avast i can no longer log in to the IMAP server when Avast is active - when i shut down the On-Access mailscanner there's no problem ... problem started after upgrading to 4.5

LedZeppelinLady

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 04:51:33 PM »
ok, version 5.1 (build 2600.XPFP_SP2_RTM.040803-2158:Service Pack 2)

I havent installed/uninstalled anything recently, i havent done anything out of the ordinary, just visiting the same web sites i always do, and then suddenly i got those error messages and my internet wasnt able to connect.

thanks

-Jackie

peterfu

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2004, 10:14:12 AM »
@LedZeppelinLady:
Ok - thanks, we have a lot of information now.

I would suggest as first action to check if your system is clean.
- first schedule a boot time scan with avast
- then visit Eddy's page for malware removal and detection and get some other applications for malware checking from there - as your internetconnection is not working download the needed applications to another computer and save them on CD or USB memory stick - whatever is available - read the instructions on Eddy's page carfully and follow his advices there
- clean your system from every possible found  malware and give us then some informations if something has been found and how the status is now

You may have malware or a damaged installation of some needed software or a simple problem with your ISP or a hardware problem with your modem.

You find the link to Eddy's very helpful page (thanks a lot Eddy for that) in Eddy's signature  in one of the posts to this thread.

br
Peter

Goner

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2004, 02:50:35 PM »
looks like my IMAP thread was hi-jacked too ... :(

anybody got something on IMAP problems ??