Author Topic: IMAP problems with version 4.5 ??  (Read 9794 times)

LedZeppelinLady

Re:IMAP problems with version 4.5 ??
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2004, 05:28:15 PM »
did a boot time scan... deleted some viruses, but didnt fix the problem.

i visited that site, but i dont know much about computers and got confused, i am also not familiar with what malware is. i had a problem with my modem back in july, i had a new one put in and thats when i had avast installed, so im hoping its not the modem. i aslo dont know what my ISP is...  :-\

ty, Jackie

peterfu

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2004, 08:35:59 PM »
looks like my IMAP thread was hi-jacked too ... :(
Hi Goner,
Sorry for that.

Have You checked your firewall settings ?? - there is a difference if you work with or without internet mail provider -  i remember one thread where avast mail scanner was somehow part of the forbidden applications in a firewall.

Could You give it a try ?

br
Peter
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 08:46:12 PM by peterfu »

Goner

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2005, 12:41:05 AM »
I made ashMaiSv.exe a 'Trusted application' in my Outpost firewall ; doesn't make a difference ... Avast keeps 'blocking' the connection to the IMAP server.

I have IMAP scanning disabled now by "StartImap=0" ... hope that someone from Alwil can have a look at this.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 12:42:27 AM by Goner »

peterfu

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2005, 07:17:24 AM »
Hi Goner,
have you tried a complete deinstallation using
http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe including removing the installation folder completly reboot and then a complete new reinstall of avast?
br
Peter

Goner

Re: IMAP problems with version 4.5 ??
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2005, 09:47:36 PM »
yep ...

i did an update first, but when i ran into problems i did a complete uninstall (incl. aswclear) and did a clean install of 4.5.

still hoping they fix/explain the IMAP problem and also the problems with the TheBat plugin.

peterfu

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2005, 10:45:13 AM »
Hi Goner,
no idea now what could cause this   ??? - strange, I've a similar setup and it worked fine - there must be a tricky dependency which causes this problem.
br
Peter

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2005, 03:40:05 PM »
still hoping they fix/explain the IMAP problem

The problem seems to be caused by some email clients using a special IMAP feature - downloading the messages by pieces - i.e. it doesn't download the whole message, it doesn't even download the particular attachments as whole - but it simply downloads the message cut into smaller pieces, one by one (at least I suppose so - theoretically, it may get the pieces even randomly - one here, one there...).
This feature, unfortunatelly, breaks avast! scanning - the virus is not recognized from a small piece of message only.
The best things in life are free.