Author Topic: best free firewall to use with avast.  (Read 38782 times)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: best free firewall to use with avast.
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 08:46:17 PM »
so i dont see any reason for me to use anything other then windows firewall at home

One good reason would be to protect your outbound traffic.  ;)
yes, and then you need to understand what the firewall is telling you......and for most users that is the problem...
unless you have a firewall like Panda / Norton that does everything automatic and silent in the background
well Panda can be a nag fo incomming....everytime you connect to like a hotell or airport network it will see all the other computers connect and then ask.....do you want to bla bla bla and if it is 20 other user connected.... well lots of pop ups to click away

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 09:01:26 PM »
so i dont see any reason for me to use anything other then windows firewall at home

+1
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 09:15:39 PM »

+1
i am not convinsed that all home users need it?

and some antvirus vendors seems to also think like that?

Panda antivirus does not install the firewall.... you have to click the firewall after antivirus install, and then it ask if you want to use Panda firewall or windows

F-Secure firewall is installed in Normal mode as default.....meaning outbound protection is off

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 10:17:07 PM »
If you do your shopping and banking online, then you need a software firewall.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 11:50:15 PM »
If you do your shopping and banking online, then you need a software firewall.
With HIPS.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

asianmusicguy

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 05:49:24 PM »
Hi guys im new and i would also like something like the OP i am on my summer holidays and just bought a cheap pc for when i spend my time here but i do need a software firewall because I DO alot of online banking im on win7 x64 because im certainly not buying a commercial security sweet for a computer i only use a few months every year

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 06:16:30 PM »
Hi guys im new and i would also like something like the OP i am on my summer holidays and just bought a cheap pc for when i spend my time here but i do need a software firewall because I DO alot of online banking im on win7 x64 because im certainly not buying a commercial security sweet for a computer i only use a few months every year
If you read through this thread you'll see your questions have been answered.

asianmusicguy

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 06:40:58 PM »
ive seen some links and some great advice but i heard that most  of the free ones are not playing nice with avast 7 i just want to know how can i get a smooth experience  with no security holes caused by firewa;;s unwilling to adjust there code to better coexist with avast and id like high security but minimal alerts

MoonDragon

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 06:11:00 AM »

Windows firewall can be configured to block or filter outbound traffic. Only in it's default setting does it have no rules for outbound traffic...  I still don't see the need to install another firewall....

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 06:34:06 AM »
Windows firewall can be configured to block or filter outbound traffic. Only in it's default setting does it have no rules for outbound traffic...  I still don't see the need to install another firewall....
It pays to check the dates of threads because you to have posted in a 7 month old topic ::)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 06:36:22 AM by craigb »