Author Topic: virus chest  (Read 2918 times)

help

virus chest
« on: December 24, 2004, 05:16:17 AM »
how to repair files in virus chest in 4.5?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:virus chest
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 08:01:43 AM »
You don't. You either delete them there or (if they turn out to false positives) you restore them to the original location.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 04:13:18 PM »
As Eddy said generally you don't.

If you encounter a virus you should select 'Repair' as your first option and 'Move to chest' as your second option if that doesn't work, always do the thing that will do least harm to your system until you confirm the detection.

If however, you have been using auto send to chest without manual intervention (silent mode), then it may be possible that the file you sent to the chest could be a file that may be repairable. I'm not sure if this can be don within the chest or if you have to move it to another folder (or restore) in order to attempt repair.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 01:28:24 AM »
I'm not sure if this can be done within the chest or if you have to move it to another folder (or restore) in order to attempt repair.

You can't do it within the Chest.
If you restore it to original place (or move to another folder) avast could repair it. The Standard Shield will detect it again and then you can choose the repair option. Avast would be able to do it if the file is a repairable executable file (handled by avast: not all executable could be repaired) and better if the informations of original one is stored into the VRDB (see 'FAQ' on my signature for more info about VRDB)  ;)
The best things in life are free.