Author Topic: Turn off Avast.  (Read 162826 times)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Turn off Avast.
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 06:56:54 AM »
hi concreteroze,

I'm really hoping you see my answer here as, as you say, this is a topic long since resolved for the OP.   Please do not attempt to use a strong tool such as Combofix on your own without proper training, as explained below.

What is likely to happen is that your query and request for help will seem to fall on deaf ears, so...
  • Please take the time to start a brand new thread about your situation and problems you are now experiencing and having.
  • Please do not try or attempt to use a tool such as Combofix without the proper training and expertise a trained malware expert has, and will have, to be able to not damage a victim's computer any more than it already is.  The goal here should always be to repair any damage done, and clean and restore the computer to the former functional capacity as it was, before a severe infection occurred.
With a zero access infection involving a necessary and critical system file such as services.exe, any wrong move with Combfix can easily destroy an operating system beyond any known means of repair.  This could mean you could lose all your personal files if this happened, in the worst case, or suffer damage to third-party programs such as Microsoft Office, if you do not know what you are really removing. 

I suggest you leave services.exe alone, ask for the help you need, and let the malware expert helping you guide you through the repair and cleaning process necessary.

Two steps here: 
  • Post a new topic in viruses and worms using your user name and topic title.  You will find this link in the upper right-hand corner under NEW TOPIC.  You will only see this link while you are logged in at the forum.
  • Please follow this guide:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
Get these four programs:  AdwCleaner, Malwarebytes, OTL, and aswMBR.exe

Run only these four, and no other programs unless asked to do so by your malware expert.  EDIT:  Do not try to fix anything; let the malware expert guide you through.  As an example; aswMBR.exe has a FIX button.  Do not click that unless told to do so.

THEN:

Attach the resulting logs using Attachments and other options in your first or second reply in your new topic.  To attach, simply click the link and a browse button will appear; four attachments are allowed per post.

Once that is done, I will notify a malware expert to come in and assist you.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 07:29:27 AM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 07:46:20 AM »
@ concreteroze,

I have taken the liberty of starting a new thread just for you.  I hope you do not mind.

Please see this link:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=109814.0 and continue on from here.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

BeachWeather

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2013, 10:16:54 PM »
For those who ask, "Why would you want to do that?" (or other comments which imply the user is not too bright), keep mind that there ARE legitimate reasons to turn off Avast.

In my case, Avast would not let me copy a file from one location to another. (Details are below).

Right clicking on the icon in the system tray did the trick.
Here's what I did:
 - Right clicked on the orange Avast! icon in the Windows System Tray.
       This is usually located in the lower right corner of the Windows Taskbar.
       I also had to first click on the little up-arrow on the left side of this area to "show hidden icons"

- Clicked on "Avast shields control"
 - Clicked on "Disable for 10 minutes"

I was then able to copy the files I needed (including the one which Avast identified as infected).
Note that I was absolutely sure that this file was NOT infected.

Details (including keywords) on why I needed to do this:

Wonderware InTouch installation CD version 9.5 includes a file named HistData.exe
Avast identifies this as an infected file, and WON'T allow it to be copied onto the PCs hard drive, or an attached USB flash drive.
This file is on an original CD, directly from the factory. It's NOT an infected file.

I need to copy files from a CD to a USB flash drive so they can be installed on an industrial PC.
The files

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2013, 10:42:06 PM »
This file is on an original CD, directly from the factory. It's NOT an infected file.
shit happens ..... and sometimes it comes from the factory
one example: 
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9179483/Update_Dell_warns_of_malware_on_server_motherboards
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2012/sep/14/malware-installed-computers-factories-microsoft

more to find if you google

have you tested the file at www.virustotal.com

if FP, you should send the file to avast lab so that the FP detection can be corrected ....
disable your AV is only a temporary solution

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:49:42 PM by Pondus »

Offline cska133

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2013, 08:30:23 PM »
Right clicking on the icon in the system tray did the trick.
Here's what I did:
 - Right clicked on the orange Avast! icon in the Windows System Tray.
       This is usually located in the lower right corner of the Windows Taskbar.
       I also had to first click on the little up-arrow on the left side of this area to "show hidden icons"
 - Clicked on "Avast shields control"
 - Clicked on "Disable for 10 minutes"

nope, this does not always do the trick. i my cases never!