Author Topic: sending e-mails  (Read 9478 times)

S.Z.Craftec

Re:sending e-mails
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2004, 08:47:32 PM »
Check other security programs settings on her computer. It's very hard to tell from here, especaily 'cause we are unable to see how everything is set on her PC.

Also, check what firewall is installed on her computer and is everything set properly. Maybe some other e-mail notification program is "fighting" with Outlook Express.

Note: new avast! 4.5 uses new mail handling methods. Mail handling is completely transparent, in other words, she needs to set her e-mail accounts as if avast! doesn't exist. Original pop3 and smtp server names, original loggin name and password given to her by her e-mail provider.

Kokopelli

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2004, 09:04:13 PM »
She has Sygate installed, but that's not the problem.  The Windows firewall is disabled.
She never  used a version of Avast other than 4.5.549, the settings of her e-mail-account are correct.  I checked everything several times.

Like I said before, the problem is solved when she unchecks the 'scan outgoing e-mail'-box in the Avast SMTP-settings.  So, I guess this is an Avast-problem.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2004, 09:08:37 PM »
This is not an avast! problem, you can't be so sure. It's working everywhere else. You said yourself it's working on your PC with same ISP. Where is the problem then ? Somewhere in some settings on her computer.

70% of users are using Outlook Express including myself without any single problem...

Do some searching on these forums and you'll see that many many problems 'caused by Beta version of avast! 4.5 are solved with final 4.5 release. Everyone's happy... where is the problem on her computer now ?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 09:10:59 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2004, 09:12:53 PM »
It could be that avast! installation was corrupt. It could be, why not...

Try repairing avast! installation, or even better completely uninstall avast!, reboot, and then reinstall it again. There is no other reason why she is having that problem. Avast! works perfectly with Sygate (on my machine as well), and Outlook Express as mail client.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 09:13:57 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Kokopelli

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2004, 09:35:06 PM »
OK I'll try completely reinstalling Avast.  I won't be near her computer in the next couple of days, so I'll post the results as soon as I have tried reinstalling.

I didn't said I was sure it was an Avast-problem, I just guessed it was, because of the 'scan outgoing e-mail'-box-thing.

Anyway, thanks for the quick replies.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2004, 09:49:59 PM »
Yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean that avast! has a problem. It could be that something went wrong during installation process and that's why mail scanner is not working as it should work. Of course disabling that feature would help her send/receive if it's not installed properly in the first place.

Try as I said... uninstall avast! completely. Use this tool and read instructions please:

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_uninstall_util.html

Reboot your system even if it's not required. After that, go into Outlook Express and check if everything works properly now when avast! is completely uninstalled. Just to be sure.

Then, when you are sure everything works properly, proceed with avast! installation. Everything should be OK.

Another thing that just came up to my mind... is she user with administrator or limited rights on that computer ? It would be much better if you can log on as ADMINISTRATOR (not just as some user with administrator rights, there is a difference) and then install avast! from the scratch.

Cheers !

Kokopelli

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2004, 10:03:34 PM »
OK I'll try that.  

Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2004, 12:23:02 PM »
The problem appears also with very small e-mail without attachment.

Are you talking about an txt email or HTML one?
I use OE and avast without problems... Let's try to help you to fix that.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Kokopelli

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2004, 12:58:07 PM »
I'm not familiar with OE, but I think it's just txt, she didn't change any settings.