Author Topic: How Do I Disable The Attachment Message?  (Read 12034 times)

Kanooka

How Do I Disable The Attachment Message?
« on: December 23, 2004, 03:05:22 AM »
Hi All,

Windows XP SP 2......IE 6....Avast Home 4.5

When I send an attachment in Outlook Express, by right clicking on an icon & choosing Send To, Mail Recipient, I always get the following message at the bottom of the email:

"The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:
Xmas Card.jpg

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments.  Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled."

It doesn't seem to appear if I insert the attachment in the body of the email; just with the right click.....

Where do I go to uncheck whatever it is that is putting this annoying message in my emails?..... ???

Many Thanks,
Kanooka

S.Z.Craftec

Re:How Do I Disable The Attachment Message?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 11:56:22 AM »
Are you sure you're not talking about MS Outlook and not about Outlook Express ? 'cause you have to be aware that those two are totaly different products from Microsoft.

You may wanna look in here:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011366861033.aspx

It's talking exactly about your Outlook attachment issue... just search the text and read it all, although it doesn't say how to remove it. You have to search your Outlook options, something attachment/security related and see if you can enable/disable it from there. It's an Outlook that gives you that message, not avast! You already got the message telling you what to do... quote: "Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.". So it's pretty clear you have to go into your Outlook security settings and change some things. If you still can not find it, visit some of those Microsoft Outlook forums/newsgroups, and they will be able to help you. This is avast! related forum, so if you're experiencing some issues with avast! you are welcome back to ask.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 11:59:39 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Kanooka

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 09:39:49 PM »
Thank you for your reply......and yes, I am certain that I have Outlook Express & not MS Outlook...... :)

The reason that I am presuming that Avast is involved is because that message just started appearing after I updated to V4.5......it was never there before the update......it is there when I receive attachments from friends who are also running Avast 4.5 (& they also are using Outlook Express & not MS Outlook), but the message is not there when I get attachments from people who are running other anti virus programs.....

I too have been looking through the MS site but have not found anything relating to Outlook Express & that particular error message.....

I thought that as this message appeared after the last Avast update, this would be a good place to inquire......

Many Thanks,
Kanooka

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 09:59:34 PM »
What are the settings for the heuristic scanning part in the Internet Mail Provider?

In your first post you where talking about sending mail and now you are talking about receiving? Can you make up your mind please, this is confusing ???
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 10:03:43 PM by Eddy »

garyb

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 10:39:58 PM »
I can duplicate what Kanooka's talking about here... OE6.
If I open WindowsExplorer for example and select any file, right-click and 'send to'...'mail recipient' I get the same message in the email body that appears.
I tried shutting down Avast on-access protection and still the same message appears.  It seems to be a 'feature' of Outlook Express being used in conjunction with WindowsExplorer rather than anything to do with Avast....

Read the following...
As anyone who sends files from Windows Explorer knows, choosing Send to > Mail Recipient opens a message using the Outlook editor set to plain text. It also adds (in some versions on Windows) text to the message body ("The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:") and inserts "Emailing: [attachment name]" as the subject.
If that annoys you, you can create a shortcut in the Send to menu and use your default message form and format.

To create your own shortcut, find the SendTo folder. (In Windows XP, it's at C:\Documents and Settings\username\SendTo.)
Right click and choose New > Shortcut.
Browse to find Outlook.exe, and add /c IPM.note to it - with Outlook 2003, the command line looks like:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE" /c ipm.note
If you often send messages to the same people, you can use preaddressed custom forms or use the /m switch (/m test@outlook-tips.net or /m alias) in a shortcut's command line. Or you can create a custom form to use instead of the default form, just replace IPM.note with the name of your custom form.
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE" /c ipm.note /m dianep

For more information see: KB 234487

(The article was written for Outlook 2000 and Windows 98/ME, but works for all versions as long as you change the file paths.)

It's taken from this page...
http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2004/20040204.htm

I haven't tried this fix since I almost never use that method but hopefully it'll be of some help :)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 11:47:58 PM »
Thanks garyb, this could be solution for his problem ! Thanks again !

The only problem is, I don't remember he mentioned anything about sending those mails with attachments from some other program than from Outlook Express. This could be real solution for his problem if he is trying to send e-mails from Windows Explorer or any other File managing shell. He mentioned he is trying to send e-mails from Outlook Express... He should say he's trying to send them from somewhere out of OE. See here:

Kanooka wrote:
...When I send an attachment in Outlook Express, by right clicking on an icon & choosing Send To, Mail Recipient, I always get the following message at the bottom of the email...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 11:49:07 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Kanooka

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 03:08:57 AM »
Hello All.....

Thanks for all the help with this.....

Eddie, the settings for the heuristic scanning is set at medium....

garyb......I think you might have solved everything......I guess I was a little confused when I tried to explain what was happening & assumed that when I opened a folder in My Documents & right clicked on an item; choose Send to, Mail Recipient, and a new message window appeared from Outlook Express that it was Outlook Express that was sending it..... ???....and what threw me off was that this message started appearing after the 4.5 update.....

Thank you all for your patience......
I think Avast is a wonderful product & I'm slowly getting the rest of my family to install it....

Kanooka

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2004, 03:15:57 AM »
It's always like this. Someone will always come up with some solution. This time it was garyb. 10 heads are always more clever than just one, right ?

I'm glad you solved your problem !

Cheers !
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 03:16:29 AM by S.Z.Craftec »