Author Topic: Mail Shield w/ imap.gmail.com certificates but Mac Mail sees server return error  (Read 8792 times)

alexclst

I just recently installed and set up Avast, and when I have disabled SSL in Mac Mail's settings for my GMail account (switches port automatically from 993 to 143) and instead have the servers (both "imap.gmail.com" and "smtp.gmail.com", both of which automatically created two entries, one with 209.85.225.109 and one with 209.85.225.108, set up, with the "imap.gmail.com" certificates in my "System" keychain) set up in the SSL settings of the Mail Shield Mac Mail shows the "warning" icon next to the account in the sidebar, and displays the below alert when clicked:

There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “GMail” or try again. The server returned the error: The attempt to read data from the server “imap.gmail.com” failed.

Looking closer it appears that I am in fact still able to send email using my GMail account, I just cannot receive email. Obviously this situation makes me need to have SSL enabled within the Mail client, but then my email isn't technically scanned by the Mail Shield, just the saved files (I assume) get scanned afterwards by the File System Shield (I also then have to disable the warning popups in Avast). This isn't ideal as having my email scanned by Avast's Mail Shield would be best, as would also leaving warning popups enabled, but if I cannot receive email I don't have much choice.

I'm running OS X 10.7.4, with all the latest software updates. Any ideas how to fix this?

alexclst

After removing everything from the SSL settings of the Mail Shield and having disabled SSL in OS X Mail for my GMail account (this then making the receiving of email not work) I added the servers back to the Mail Shield settings (now the only entries that are in the settings) and now everything seems to work as it should, even after quitting and restarting OS X Mail as well as after rebooting my Mac. Maybe having to do with this having fixed the issue, I notice that the IP Addresses for the "imap.gmail.com" entries (yes, it still created two, is that normal?) are different from what they were when I first set up the Mail Shield yesterday morning. I also had OS X Mail attempt a connection with SSL disabled and the Mail Shield disabled before adding the servers back to the SSL settings. So this issue is fixed for me, if anyone else has something similar going on maybe this will help you fix your problems as well.

davejacko

Hi there,
Having similar problems myself.

How did you add 'imap.gmail.com' to the Avast Prefs, mine keeps getting rejected. I have ready it need to be in the keychain but I have no idea what to add in the keychain app. Any insights would be appreciated.

Dave