Author Topic: Avast! 7 strikes av-comparatives again  (Read 13196 times)

true indian

Avast! 7 strikes av-comparatives again
« on: May 19, 2012, 06:29:21 PM »
http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart3.php

we are in 2012 in blocked + UD

If u look at 2012 and all years blocked results we are like muttering between 3st and 5th...thats very good

WE  ROCK!!!!  ;D  8)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:50:00 AM by true indian »

AdrianH

Re: Avast! 7 strikes av-comparatives again
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 06:50:43 PM »
Well........... I tried viewing that unintelligble crap in 4 different browsers.  Wouldn't you think they could at least produce a readable graph?

true indian

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 06:51:36 PM »
Well........... I tried viewing that unintelligble crap in 4 different browsers.  Wouldn't you think they could at least produce a readable graph?

Make the zoom to 90-100% in chrome...that looks better  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 06:51:46 PM »
We're going up... From ~94% to ~98%... Congratulations...
Take the long term picture (2010 to 2012) and you'll see the improvement better.
The best things in life are free.

true indian

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 06:53:39 PM »
Take the long term picture (2010 to 2012) and you'll see the improvement better.

Yep! ;D Hahaha....Look at the all years result  blocked we are LIKE  ON 3RD!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 07:03:36 PM by true indian »

true indian

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 07:02:55 PM »
Qihoo 360...I have tested it many times against so many stuff and its really bad!!

looks like somebody is cheating

Mayflower

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 09:16:21 PM »
(2012 – 2012) Dramatic improvement for Bitdefender!

However I prefer more stable products.

Jim1cor13

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 10:34:36 PM »

Indeed, excellent progress. Thanks for the info. true indian. :)

All my best!
Jim
---

true indian

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 05:52:11 AM »
No problem!Jim good to see avast moving towards the top...i wouldnt count qihoo...it seems like av-comp is been payed by qihoo to display these results

And of course if u consider the multiple AV engines using AV's like gdata fsecure we are the 5th best AV out there and if u dont consider them we are the 3rd best AV out there.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:58:37 AM by true indian »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 09:06:24 AM »
I'm not that impressed. If they'd put 5% effort into Behavior Shield and making it even function at all, we'd be looking at 99,99% figures since the release of v5. But instead it's just a waste of shield space for 3 major versions because it does NOTHING to the end user. Tested it yesterday (for the 20th time this year), installed only Behavior Shield, left only rootkit and malware-like behavior enabled to avoid excess blocking of every random protected thing and set it to block. Executed like 50 samples of known malware. Not a single thing was even analyzed, let alone being blocked. Which means avast! 7 doesn't have any malware-like behavior rules. At all.
I don't even know why does it have a name Behavior Shield. It should be called "Just some scanning shield with no real purpose". Because that's what it is. And as much as i like avast! and how much i've been supporting it for the last years, this is really pissing me off. Every other vendor that introduced behavior blocker in their program also showed off some excellent results (i've tested them myself as well. But avast!, nothing for the last 3 years, since the v5 when we got the Behavior Shield. This module should have been hidden from the day 1 because it is apparently designed to only monitor things but is instead giving users a false sense of security (knowing how behavior blockers are effective in general). One of the biggest disappointments with avast! in years really and it still keeps on disappointing me. And frankly i'm not really sure what was avast! team thinking when they designed this module. I just can't understand their logic...

Only thing that's really holding avast! afloat is cloud (file reputation) and Auto Sandbox. Where Auto Sandbox is again like Behavior Shield just a dumb module that just sandboxes stuff for 15 seconds and terminates them without any verdict at all even though interface suggests it will maybe sometimes give some verdict. But it never does. I'd understand not giving a verdict for some stuff because it just can't make one, but not giving any verdict in all my tests ever since v7 was released (and trust me i tossed loads of malware at it), nothing.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

true indian

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 09:24:45 AM »

Where Auto Sandbox is again like Behavior Shield just a dumb module that just sandboxes stuff for 15 seconds and terminates them without any verdict at all

Not true i have seen autosandbox in action many a times....it also did show 1 time that the file is probably malware on my sister machine...U should go get a malware that tries to connect to Net and connect with backdoor and that get caught in autosandbox

My sister about 1 month ago was using avast 7.0.1426 and she downloaded some piece of malware that was autosandboxed by avast....the malware tried to drop a win32.ransom that avast picked up with with file guard and avast also picked up the malware URL connection the malware was doing...all this happened when file went to sandbox and then about 15 sec later it showed that the file probably malware

Also i have tested autosandbox with some undetected malware/adware....and it did autosandbox many of them...say about more than 1/4th of them

Also u can move behav shield to ask and it behavs like HIPS  ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 09:32:50 AM by true indian »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 09:32:32 AM »
You don't understand what i was talking about. I never said it doesn't sandbox things, i've said it NEVER gives a verdict on what malware is trying to do inside sandbox. Read the Auto Sandbox popup once and you'll see what the text on it says. And what will always say no matter what gets sandboxed. Even verified malware will always end up with no verdict on what it is so user is left clueless and the just exclude for stupid Auto Sandbox popup to finalyl go away and stops bothering them. That's what most do in the end because of it...

true indian

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 09:34:51 AM »
You don't understand what i was talking about. I never said it doesn't sandbox things, i've said it NEVER gives a verdict on what malware is trying to do inside sandbox.

I do understand what u say....cozz for me it has given conclusions that file is malware...

Make sure u are running some genuine piece of malware against it that tries to drop files and create a backdoor and u will see the final verdict as malicious in red

The malware should be like dropping files on computer that avast file guard can pick up and creating backdoor connections that network shield can pick up
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 09:36:31 AM by true indian »

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 09:37:16 AM »
for me i feel that the autosandbox is pretty decent in catching unknown threats and it is not stupid in my opinion. (rather it is the phrasing that causes indecision)

however, i do think that the pop-up information does need better phrasing to prevent confusing normal users.

refer to screenshot.

i feel that the statement with the highest threat level warning should be the one displayed. that means if avast auto analysis of the program does not find any malicious intent of the program, it should only display the very reason for autosandbox to be triggered in the 1st place (eg. replacing the sentence "we did not find enough evidence to identify the file as malware" with "static analysis finds the file suspicious"). of course, if analysis finds malicious intent in the program, it will take precedence over the initial autosandbox reasoning - instead of showing "static analysis finds the file suspicious" show " the file appears to be malware".

this will help a lot of users in making decisions when seeing autosandbox alerts. as of now, the 2 statements in autosandbox analysis is potentially confusing to normal users.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 09:39:12 AM by AntiVirusASeT »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 09:43:11 AM »
It gave the same reson for bunch of Steam games and other known clean stuff so that's hardly any verdict at all. The thing at which your arrow points at never changes. It's never enough evidence, just like there apparently are no rules that would even trigger behavior shield either.