Author Topic: Just Installed SpywareBlaster .  (Read 14136 times)

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
Just Installed SpywareBlaster .
« on: December 23, 2004, 08:23:54 PM »
I checked out the "cleaning thread":
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=5373
and got to here...
"*** Read How did I get infected in the first place and follow Tony's advice.  He will tell you about some ways to make your computer more secure and link to some excellent free tools to help with that.
***"
and found myself installing ,  SpyWareBlaster ;  the program described in the cexx.org article here : http://boards.cexx.org/viewtopic.php?t=957
 My system is clean , I'm wanting to get some expertise at setting up software needed to keep my system  clean.
Obviously I'm just learning as I go along. I've never had a "crash" as such due to viruses, but I now wonder with this SpywareBlaster  &   Avast! 4.5 ;  if I need a firewall. Running Win 98Se  , IE 6 ,  on a 350Mhz , 128 Ram , 4 Gig HDD  machine, ( Don't laugh, it's doing the job  ;)  )  but yeh, Do I need a Firewall ?
I upload music I've recorded, and do very little downloading (Shareaza) ,  plus download other friends music , mainly from Soundclick.com , a Mp3 hosting site for home recordings.  My system seems to keep fairly clean.  
 One thing I've noted are "system Hooks" ,
Keyboard & MOUSE => hooked by aswidle.dll >>>
=> ASHERVE.EXE &...
CBT (?) ??? Hooked by avcommex.dll >>>ASHERVE.EXE
Anyway I 've set up Avast & SpyWareBlaster as per instuctions , and aren't too keen on putting up a Firewall ,  as system performance may suffer and I've never used one previously.   Not sure what to do ???

techie101

Re: Just Installed SpywareBlaster .
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 08:50:02 PM »
Abraxas,

Ok,  a lot of questions and so....a lot of answers  ;D

Yes, you definetly need a firewall.  Since you seem to be novice, I recommend Zone Alarm (free) for now.  It is easy to install, stable with W98, and needs little care to run.

As for SpywareBlaster.  It is a very good program but keep it updated on a regular basis.  I would ask that you download a companion program "SpywareGuard" which runs resident on your computer and protects trojans and worms from activating.  (http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

Whenever you see the ashserv.exe file.....it means that the Avast was used to scan the file.

Here is what you should have on your system:
Firewall
Antivirus
Anti-spyware
Popup blocker
Script guard (Avast Home does not have one)

other things that are nice:
Spam filter
Process Guard
Cookie filter

You can find many such free software at www.snapfiles.com and www.wantdbest.com

« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 08:52:00 PM by Techie101 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 08:50:18 PM »
Yes you still need a firewall. Spyware Blaster, Avast and a Firewall are three different things. Each takes care of a part of the total protection of your system.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 08:51:08 PM by Eddy »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 11:18:40 PM »
I would suggest that you give the firefox browser a try as it is less susceptible to spyware and adware than IE6 (or try one of the other alternative browsers).

If you don't like it, you can always uninstall it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 11:19:47 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rosymouse

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 06:01:47 AM »
 :D Firfox is wonderful, I have no problems with it and have been running it and updating it for months, it is my default browser, IE, is a pain in the ass, but it has to be used for some sites, you soon find out which ones, when Firefox does not display proberly, that does not happen often, but it does happen, so watch out for it, it is not your computer, just copy the url and bring up IE and past it onto there and you will find it will open up as it should, i ;)

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 06:56:26 AM »
O.K.  :)
Thanks : Techie101 , Eddy ,  DavidR  , & rosymouse . Once again thankyou for unveiling the answers to what I find to be an Infinite subject ; Virus Protection .  :-[
Techie101 said :
Yes, you definetly need a firewall. Since you seem to be novice, I recommend Zone Alarm (free) for now.  It is easy to install, stable with W98, and needs little care to run.
Believe it or not , I've a degree in Electronic and Computer Engineering. But Hey, I can't know everything  ;)
May I wish you all a Happy and safe Christmas, and a Virus free New Year ! :)
I've a lot to read , and this is the place to do it.
Much appreciated for your help , Cheers, Tony.

Beaky

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 08:17:24 AM »
Hi Rosymouse,

Re Firefox:

You can download an Extension called  "ieview", it puts a link in the drop down menu reached by clicking the right mouse button when browsing in Firefox....... no need to write in URL and IE automatically opens ;)

lee16

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2004, 02:59:26 PM »
Hi Rosymouse,

Re Firefox:

You can download an Extension called  "ieview", it puts a link in the drop down menu reached by clicking the right mouse button when browsing in Firefox....... no need to write in URL and IE automatically opens

There is also an extension so you can open a URL to Firefox from IE by right clicking the page.

--lee

techie101

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2004, 03:22:31 PM »
Abraxas,
Nothing meant by using the term "novice"  I too am an ECE, but most of what I know of virus and spyware protection was obtained here from users and the Avast Team, in addition to research and beta testing.
It is a wonderful place to gain knowledge.  

Welcome to the forum.  Come by anytime and hang out with us.

Happy Holiday

Beaky,
Thanks for the tip on Firefox IE extension.  It is useful info to pass along.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 03:24:26 PM by Techie101 »

Alobar

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2004, 07:42:51 AM »
Here is what you should have on your system:
Firewall
Antivirus
Anti-spyware
Popup blocker
Script guard (Avast Home does not have one)

Jumping here with a question.  I have been using a firewall & antivirus for several years now.    I just switched to avast & am exploring this forum.   I never heard of a script guard until now.   I just went to wantdbest.com as you suggested & see at least 4 choices for script blockers.   As I know nothing about them, how do I choose?  I am using Win-XP pro.

I hope this isn't too much off-topic for this forum.

Alobar

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2004, 01:44:44 PM »
Well, The whole thread is a little off topic for it doesn't relate to avast Home/Pro, so it will hardly make a difference.

This is just one, AnalogX - Script Defender, it's the one I use at present, there are others.

Merry Christmas
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2004, 03:56:18 PM »
Abraxas,
Nothing meant by using the term "novice"  I too am an ECE, but most of what I know of virus and spyware protection was obtained here from users and the Avast Team, in addition to research and beta testing.
It is a wonderful place to gain knowledge.  

Welcome to the forum.  Come by anytime and hang out with us.

Happy Holiday
Abraxas :
Thanks Techie101 . I had no qualms about the term "novice". It's impossible to know all facets of the computer world ;) , as far as The Avast! Forum , I am really pleased to be a member as I didn't expect so much information here and the willingness to share. PEACE
Beaky,

Thanks for the tip on Firefox IE extension.  It is useful info to pass along.
Thanks Beaky !
DavidR said:
Well, The whole thread is a little off topic for it doesn't relate to avast Home/Pro, so it will hardly make a difference.
:-[ Oops ! I should have posted in the General Forum , sorry !

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2004, 04:57:06 PM »
DavidR said:
:-[ Oops ! I should have posted in the General Forum , sorry !

No harm done, it happens, the main thing is you got the answers to your questions.

Merry Christmas

Alobar

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2004, 09:01:01 PM »

This is just one, AnalogX - Script Defender, it's the one I use at present, there are others.

Merry Christmas

Thanks much!   And a happy Yuletide to you.

Alobar

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2004, 07:56:35 AM »
 ;) Thanks to you all. Systems are all running fine. Actually faster ! Enjoy the Christmas Holiday  :)
Don't eat to much though, I over did it last year, and ooh ! was not good...