Author Topic: defrag crashes comp???  (Read 21277 times)

XtremeKirby

defrag crashes comp???
« on: December 23, 2004, 11:26:24 PM »
I know Windows Disk Defragmenter is suppose to be stable and all ( after all it is built into Windows ) but everytime I use it, it crashes my operating system and displays the "blue screen of death (BSOD for short)".

This is what happens: I open the Disk Defragmenter from the System Tools folder, like usual. I click on Analyze. (During this process clicking on analyze sometimes crashes my system, if not..). I click on Defragment. (This process mostly also crashes my system, but if not...) During the "Compacting files..... process" BAM! There is when the system would crash. I try to do this like almost 5 times already, but the same things goes. If not this then that.

I don't know exactly when this happened, but... it has been a while.  I also turned off all my backround application, closed everything and it still persists. I don't think I have installed anything before this happened either.  I have also contacted the Microsoft Support Wbsite and so far they gave me anything but answers.

P.S.  Safe mode don't work either... (sorry this is sooo long)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:defrag crashes comp???
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 11:36:35 PM »
Have you run chkdsk before starting the defrag?
What OS?
What is the exact error on the BSOD?
Any other errors in the event log and/or system log?
Any other strange things or problems with the system?
Legal version of Windows?

XtremeKirby

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 11:52:17 PM »
:) Yes, I did run disk check before I ran disk defragmenter (note that Disk Check ran in boot-time). The results displayed for 2 seconds, then my computer logged on. (I hope u know what I am talking about..) I also got a glance at the results before it dissapeared that I have at least 200KB of bad sector, but Disk Check didn't fix it. Ran disk check twice and the same.

My OS is located on my signature.... its Windows XP Home sp2.

The BSOD saids a thread unexpectaly exited and caused my os to crash...

No other errors... just displays the BSOD unexpectedly during defragment.   And my system is runnig fine as far as I know except for one thing... my log on time is longer than usual. I am talking about the black screen with the Windows XP logo and the blue loading bar. Usually, before I had this problem, it takes me 2-8 seconds to start up, but now it takes a whole 2 minutes.

I am positive it is a legal version of Windows, unless something happened to it... other than that it is a Compaq Presario with Windows XP pre-installed from the USA.  

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 07:45:28 AM »
Let chkdsk create a log file and let us see if we can find a solution. Also write down the exact error on the BSOD and let us know.

XtremeKirby

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 08:43:36 PM »
Hi Eddy,

Sorry the reply took so long... you know, its been very busy.

Alright, first I want to ask how do you create a log file for chkdsk? I never knew that is possible.

The error for the BSOD is... *** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003,0x82E50DA0,0x82E50F14,0x80606586)

The beginning said ...  "a process or thread crucial to the system operation has unexpectedly exited or terminated."

Hope this information helps...

DamentZ

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 09:16:32 PM »
For 2 minutes?  Does it stay on the Windows Xp loading screen for 2 minutes or so?  If it does I recommend reinstalling Windows XP or getting a copy of Windows 2000 from a friend.  Its happened to me, u dont wanna know what happens at the end.  Unless your exaggerating of course eh heh.  Run a repair install.  Your installation must be corrupted or something from my point of view

whocares

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 09:30:21 PM »
Hi,

have you tried Defrag in SafeMode (F8-Boot) ?

(And why is Defrag COMPACTING files ? you don't mean DriveClean-Up, by any chance ?
or you have a Compressed drive ?
or can some XP-ert enlighten me here ?)

for chkdsk:
rightclick your drive -> properties -> Extras -> Check/Test? -> checkmark all boxes there..
When told "impossible to run Chkdsk now blablabla...", accept to run the Check on next reboot and then Reboot

after some lenghty checks, you'll find the results of CHKDSK easily now via
Controlpanel-> ComputerAdministration? -> Event-Log -> Applications , and there under one of the recent "WINLOGON"-Entries

;)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 02:15:07 AM »
Alright, first I want to ask how do you create a log file for chkdsk?
It is explained in the manual of your OS. It is explained on the MS website (MS knowledgebase). It is explained on (at least) hundreds of other websties. So why asking?

It is your system, it is the OS you have chosen. LEARN how to use it.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 02:17:38 AM by Eddy »

galooma

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2004, 12:58:13 PM »
I feel your pain Eddy , i guess its a rule of thumb that 80% of users throw their hands in the air and look for someone else(the other 20%) to untangle the mess when they dig themselves into a hole
Of that 20% there`s usually only 20% that have the time or patience to read a manual.
I personally have tried consulting the MS knowledge base but i wouldnt advise everyone to .  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004, 01:57:07 PM »
Alright, first I want to ask how do you create a log file for chkdsk?
It is explained in the manual of your OS. It is explained on the MS website (MS knowledgebase). It is explained on (at least) hundreds of other websties. So why asking? It is your system, it is the OS you have chosen. LEARN how to use it.

Eddy, here people could ask freely...
If we don't have time to answer, let them ask and wait, maybe other users could do it.
We cannot learn if we does not ask  8)
Remember the policy, NO CAPS  ;)

I feel your pain Eddy , i guess its a rule of thumb that 80% of users throw their hands in the air and look for someone else (the other 20%) to untangle the mess when they dig themselves into a hole. Of that 20% there`s usually only 20% that have the time or patience to read a manual. I personally have tried consulting the MS knowledge base but i wouldnt advise everyone to .  :)

I understand you ginblossom, but if you cannot help, just do not login  8)
We can't blame for each newbie here to read manual or help files. To do this they do not have to login to a forum. This is a forum, in my opinion, not a FAQ or even a help manual. I know the users can use the search option but before they should learn how this forum work, how to search...
We can't blame each newbie to know how the things are!

Another issue, we cannot say to users their Windows (or any other application) is not legal. This can't be open discussed in an avast forum, in my opinion. No offense.
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 02:16:04 PM »
I really don't understand why all of a sudden people are annoyed with new user's questions ?!! What's wrong with you people ?

They are free to ask whatever they want. If you saw one of their questions and you are pissed off, for whatever reason you may find (?!!), no one force you to answer in his thread. Just ignore it. Or you MUST answer to make few more posts and higher number under your forum nickname ?!

Just avoid it and find some other thread you like more... it will be much better than "jumping" over new users and calling them names (I know what I'm talking about, some other thread related).

What will new users think of us with this kind of tone ? Think about it !!!

If you have some answer for him, answer his questions, if not, post in some other thread... how simple is that ?

Let's everybody calm down...  ::) Let's show that we are here to help...

Thanks !
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 02:18:46 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

XtremeKirby

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2004, 09:16:15 PM »
I am so sorry that I caused so much trouble. I am sorry sorry sorry. Eddy's right, I should LEARN to use my system. :'(

after some lenghty checks, you'll find the results of CHKDSK easily now via
Controlpanel-> ComputerAdministration? -> Event-Log -> Applications , and there under one of the recent "WINLOGON"-Entries

Thanks! The log file is in the attachments.

(And why is Defrag COMPACTING files ? you don't mean DriveClean-Up, by any chance ?
or you have a Compressed drive ?
or can some XP-ert enlighten me here ?)
um.. whocares, I think you were confused... I was talking about "COMPACTING not COMPRESSING it is totally different. you know after moving the fragments defrag then compacts them.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2004, 11:03:49 PM »
XtremeKirby, like Sasha said, it's everything ok... All of we have bad days, haven't we?

(And why is Defrag COMPACTING files? "COMPACTING not COMPRESSING it is totally different. you know after moving the fragments defrag then compacts them.

If you right click the "C" drive into Windows Explorer and choose Properties.
Is the option COMPACT the files turned on?
Am I understand you or am I lost?

XtremeKirby

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2004, 12:57:26 AM »
yeah.. I gues...

Anyway...
(And why is Defrag COMPACTING files? "COMPACTING not COMPRESSING it is totally different. you know after moving the fragments defrag then compacts them.
If you right click the "C" drive into Windows Explorer and choose Properties.
Is the option COMPACT the files turned on?
Am I understand you or am I lost?

um... . ??? I think you lost me... I think you mean compress? I see the option compress not compact. When defrag is done fixing the fragments it then compacts them.

very confusing... ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2004, 01:24:05 AM »
very confusing... ???

No, it's ok... It was just a guess and a translation problem.
We, non-English Windows users, can't imagine all translations and, sometimes, get lost  :-[

So, what's happening, defragmenting is compacting the fragments and then...
Now, I'm not following the exact problem you have...