Author Topic: defrag crashes comp???  (Read 21278 times)

XtremeKirby

Re:defrag crashes comp???
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2004, 02:00:54 AM »
 :) Alright... I state the problem more clearly again...

To not make anything confusing, I would state what a normal user of  defrag without any problems would do:

1.Open defrag from system tools folder. 2. Click on Analyze button on the bottom. (Defrag will now analyze) 3. If prompt to defrag (as in if you need to.) Click on Defragment. Defrag will now Analyze again (trust me this is normal, don't know why probably a Microsoft thing) and then will start moving or defragmentingthe files.(you could see the red lines becoming blue lines)  Then after it is done it will compact them (you could see the blue lines going near each other to the left)

Problem is.... BSOD will appear in...Analyzing, Defragmenting or , Compacting Files. So if it doesn't cause a BSOD in Analyzing, then Defragmenting, If not both then Compacting. (notice I am using a sequence.)

See this though... I have two volumes in my harddisk. D:\ and C:\. D:\ is the Recovery partition for my Compaq. C:\ is the main volume. When I defragment D: it did with no problem. But C: is the one causing the trouble.

have you tried Defrag in SafeMode (F8-Boot) ?

Yes I did, with no success. It causes a BSOD even in Safe-Mode.

There!  ;D  seems to be enough. Any ideas???

neal62

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2004, 02:50:17 AM »
Just my idea is that you may want to or have to do a restore/reformat of your system :'( Just an idea.

XtremeKirby

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2004, 03:42:00 AM »
If it does I recommend reinstalling Windows XP.....Your installation must be corrupted or something from my point of view
Just my idea is that you may want to or have to do a restore/reformat of your system  Just an idea.

Yeah... :( possiblily that my system is corrupted. I guess I have to reformat or reinstall my system but I'm still looking for answers. If it comes to the end that it can't be fixed, then I will reinstall my system.

garyb

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2004, 04:14:12 AM »
This is a real long shot, but I'm sure that by now you're getting desperate...
I notice that you run Spyware Blaster.  You don't also happen to run Spyware Guard do you?  It can cause problems with defrag because of its real-time scanner.  Tucked away in the systray, especially if you're hiding unused icons, if you have it it might still be running???
I sure hope you can figure this one out without a reformat/restore  :-\

XtremeKirby

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2004, 04:27:46 AM »
Thanks garyb for being concern,

No, I do not have Spyware Guard installed. It had various problems with my avast! before so I uninstalled it. (Note that I formatted my computer once before and I had Spyware Guard installed before I reformatted and I never went back to it again.)  But I have Spybot S&D Teatimer running though. Could that cause a problem? I am positive I shut down all the backround scanners firewalls etc. So the only icons I see before I run defrag is the sound icon. I am also sure no programs are hidden at least I think so.

Thanks

garyb

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2004, 04:58:51 AM »
I don't know enough about tea timer to be sure, but if I'm not mistaken it runs constantly in the background too.  If that's the case then it could be possible that's the problem.

In my experience on my older win98se boxes I had one that constantly just hung when I defragged and another that got the BSOD unless I disabled SpywareGuard; and I only ever used tea timer for a very short while because I had problems shutting down as soon as I started using it.  I keep Spybot but don't use teatimer.
Even now I'm on XP I still automatically disable SpywareGuard before attempting a defrag.

It couldn't hurt to try disabling teatimer and see if that fixes the problem.  

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2004, 01:10:01 PM »
XtremeKirby,

1) Is there any error message written on the BSOD? Which one (numbers, etc.).

2) Did you run scandisk before defragmenting, specially at boot time?
     Does your HD has any bad cluster?
The best things in life are free.

lee16

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2004, 01:14:49 PM »
Well im not an expert in this area, but mabey trying RejZoR's power defragmenter will solve the problem?

--lee
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 01:15:17 PM by lee16 »

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2004, 05:12:16 PM »
This is a real long shot, but I'm sure that by now you're getting desperate...
I notice that you run Spyware Blaster.  You don't also happen to run Spyware Guard do you?  It can cause problems with defrag because of its real-time scanner.  Tucked away in the systray, especially if you're hiding unused icons, if you have it it might still be running???
I sure hope you can figure this one out without a reformat/restore  :-\

Good point, gary.  I use SB and SG myself, and there's been a couple of times (in the Wilders forums) that Javacool has strongly recommended not only disabling all of SG's options but also actually shutting it down (via Program-Exit) before doing a defrag, because of problems on some people's systems.  It's too bad this info never became "official", as by being added to the SG help files, as far as I know it never progressed past forum topics.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

XtremeKirby

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2004, 05:56:05 PM »
Hi everyone!

Is there any error message written on the BSOD? Which one (numbers, etc.).
\

Yes. If you looked in the first page it was there.

The error for the BSOD is... *** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003,0x82E50DA0,0x82E50F14,0x80606586)

The beginning said ...  "a process or thread crucial to the system operation has unexpectedly exited or terminated."

Um... yes I did run scandisk before I ran defrag. Look in the attachments for the latest logfile. I looked in it and I do have bad cluster! :o

It couldn't hurt to try disabling teatimer and see if that fixes the problem.
I am positive I shut down all the backround scanners firewalls etc. So the only icons I see before I run defrag is the sound icon. I am also sure no programs are hidden at least I think so.

As you can see I did shut down the backround process and I am sure its all of them. Although I didn't check Task Manager to see if anything was leaking (memory leak).

but mabey trying RejZoR's power defragmenter will solve the problem?
Really!? is that another defrag utility? I don't mind trying it, but how?

Thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2004, 06:14:27 PM »
Have a look HERE

Do you happen to have hybernation/stand by enabled? If so disable it and see if the error still appears.

Set logging for the event log to maximum. (put a checkmark for every possible log option in its properties) It may tell us more.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 06:16:18 PM by Eddy »

XtremeKirby

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2004, 06:28:08 PM »
Hi Eddy

Do you happen to have hybernation/stand by enabled? If so disable it and see if the error still appears.

No, I don't. I have disabled them log time ago because I don't need them. I also have system restore off. Does that have anything to do with it too?

Thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2004, 06:44:53 PM »
System restore on/off shouldn't make any difference.

Have you tried the SFC?

(start > run > cmd > sfc /scannow)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 06:46:32 PM by Eddy »

XtremeKirby

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2004, 07:24:35 PM »
Hi Eddy,

Have you tried the SFC?

(Microsoft Tech Support also suggest the same. :))

Ok. After it was finished, nothing happened.:o I looked into the event viewer and all it said was that it was completed successfully. (see attachment)

Also, on the scandisk...
Set logging for the event log to maximum. (put a checkmark for every possible log option in its properties) It may tell us more.
... I did check every option possible before scanning and the attachment I attached was made before I checked the options, so it should tell us more information, right? ???

Thanks ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2004, 07:39:53 PM »
STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003,0x82E50DA0,0x82E50F14,0x80606586)

Did you Googled it, part by part? For instance, 0x000000F4

I looked in it and I do have bad cluster! :o

I think we can found the 'bad' guy in this history...

As you can see I did shut down the backround process and I am sure its all of them. Although I didn't check Task Manager to see if anything was leaking (memory leak).

You need to see Process Explorer 8.61 because the Windows Task Manager is very weak..

Really!? is that another defrag utility? I don't mind trying it, but how?

http://freeweb.siol.net/razor256/downloads/PowerDefragmenter.zip
The best things in life are free.