Author Topic: aVast errors when updating virus def file  (Read 2528 times)

dshadel

aVast errors when updating virus def file
« on: December 27, 2004, 03:31:41 PM »
When aVast trys to update the virus definition file I get the error that my license key is invalid or has expired. I then opened the aVast GUI and selected Update and iVAS Update. It says that the key expires on 9/1/05 and that the current date is 12/27/04. This is the same key I have been using for a few months, so the key is valid. The message indicates that it figured out when it expired, so that seems to indicate the key is valid also. FYI: a couple of days ago I wanted to check out a date in Nov 2005, so I brought up the dialog that sets the date/time on the computer and accientially set the date to Nov 2005. I saw the problem with aVast not updating and discovered this and reset the date to be the correct date and time and then re-entered the key, as indicated in the aVast error dialog. It still won't update. Do I need a new key?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:aVast errors when updating virus def file
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 04:55:22 PM »
Which version of avast?

Was it a trial version or had you registered it.

It is almost certain that setting the system date to Nov 2005 has triggered the problem.

Probably the easiest thing to do is, download the latest version, download the 'Avast Uninstall Utility,' (find it here).

Once you have done that, uninstall avast using the windows ad remove programs and reboot. Run the Avast Uninstall Utility to ensure that all remnants of avast are gone, and reboot.

Ensure that the system date is correct, now you can install avast and past in your old key. Let me know how you get on.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 04:56:54 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:aVast errors when updating virus def file
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 01:03:00 AM »
Do I need a new key?

It won't harm... You can ask for it.
But, I think you have to boot between the data change (correct) and the avast update  ;)
The best things in life are free.