Author Topic: Upload of Files / Email not working  (Read 3323 times)

smartcard

Upload of Files / Email not working
« on: December 24, 2004, 02:24:14 PM »
I have XP SP1 loaded with Avast Home Edition.

I have strange problem, like I can connect to the internet using my dial-up connection and do any downloads like email, file, and also browse the internet.

But I can not send or upload any file via email or even ftp.  I is simply not working.

Time to time I get the Avast warning like "DCOM Exploit"

Can anyone help me please?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Upload of Files / Email not working
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 06:29:24 PM »
1] Your system is not up-to-date so it is vulnerable for malware/attacks. Visit the MS uodate site and keep going there till allsecurity patches/updates are installed

2] email "downloads" is different from file downloads.

3] ftp is something different as the ones mentionend under 2]

4] The DCOM warning is something you only get when you have setup the security of your system very badly or not at all.

I suggest you start with making your system up-to-date (incl. SP2 and the updates that are released after that), than setup your security in a proper way, than tell us what exact problems you (think?) you are still facing.

techie101

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 04:01:03 PM »
smartcard,

The DCOM (Microsoft Distributed Component Object Model) is affected by a vulnerability when using the RPCS service of Windows.  Viruses such as MS Blaster can exploit this weakness.

The following Windows versions are known to be vulnerable using this type viral  code:

Windows 2000 SP0
Windows 2000 SP1
Windows 2000 SP2
Windows 2000 SP3
Windows 2000 SP4
Windows XP SP0
Windows XP SP1

Please be aware that the following Windows Operating Systems use the vulnerable RPCSS Service:
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT ServerĀ® 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition
Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows Server 2003
and AVAST ! *for the update function

As Eddy stated, you must update your system using MS Update to install the security patches necessary to help prevent such an attack.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 04:03:22 PM by Techie101 »

whocares

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 04:53:28 PM »
Can someone explain to me why you deduce bad system security from DCOM-Exploit warnings (which I assume are coming from avast network Shield) ?
You ALWAYS get those as soon as you connect to a contaminated network (i.e. the INTERNET), even if you have all WinUpdates in place

and if avast driver is loaded before firewall driver, you even get those warnings with a FW installed

(ok, "Smartcard" hasn't got SP2, which should be applied, but this doesn't necessarily imply that his system is vulnerable to DCOM/LSASS/etc.- Exploits)
 ;)

@Smartcard:
please post here a hijackthis-Log for diagnosis;
see link "VirusRemoval" below in my sig for Download/instructions ;)