Author Topic: "Create" a similar function of script blocker in Avast Home  (Read 5311 times)

Tiny Lamb

"Create" a similar function of script blocker in Avast Home
« on: December 24, 2004, 08:15:18 PM »
I don't know whether this method has already been mentioned by others.

In Resident Setting, click Blocker. Unclick Default extension set.
In the box "Additional extensions", enter .vbs, .js.
Click all options under "blocked operations".

I would like to test if this function works. How can I test it?
Thank you very much.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:"Create" a similar function of script blocker in Avast Home
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 09:30:28 PM »
Rather than use a hash up and there are more scripts than just .vbs and .js

Why not use a script blocking tool like AnalogX - Script Defender and it's freeware.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 09:36:28 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tiny Lamb

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2004, 07:11:12 AM »
No. They are not the same.

Script Defender will alert you when scripts are about to run. It does not identify whether the scripts are good or bad. How can I make decision on whether I need to block it or run it?

Script Sentry is also free of charge, but it has some problems in non-English operating system.

In fact all-or-nothing choice is not really good. The freeware script blockers do not tell me if the scripts want to modify your system, delete files or create files. If there are ways that I can block only bad scripts, I do not mind spending time entering all types of scripts in resident setting > blocker. I just want to know if Avast Home can do such things.
Thanks.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2004, 07:18:47 AM »
If there are ways that I can block only bad scripts
Just make sure that Avast is scanning them. That is all you need to do.

Tiny Lamb

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2004, 07:29:27 AM »
Yes, you're right. I am confident that Avast Home can detect all possible ITW script viruses which are already known. I just want to make Avast Home a little bit more powerful to block unknown scripts which may destroy one's system. What I concern most is whether Avast Home can really block bad scripts by using blocker. If yes, then Avast Home is really the most powerful and free antivirus programme in the world. If not, it doesn't matter. Avast Home's detection rate is indeed very good, as tested by many testers.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 01:39:06 AM »
I just want to make Avast Home a little bit more powerful to block unknown scripts which may destroy one's system.

It's on the Professional version...  :)

What I concern most is whether Avast Home can really block bad scripts by using blocker. If yes, then Avast Home is really the most powerful and free antivirus programme in the world.

Well, in fact with the sensitivity at High I see no reason for the scripts don't be scanned... In fact, were you looking for the best antivirus round? You find it  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 10:13:35 PM »
There is something very flawed on this tip.

so i don't see point to disable default extension set at ALL !!!!

why?
to "add" additional extensions to "blocker" You not need disable default set !
just add them into additional line ...

unchecking default blocked extension set, you removing the block operation for these !

« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 10:13:48 PM by Dwarden »
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Tiny Lamb

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 04:26:45 AM »
There is something very flawed on this tip.

so i don't see point to disable default extension set at ALL !!!!

why?
to "add" additional extensions to "blocker" You not need disable default set !
just add them into additional line ...

unchecking default blocked extension set, you removing the block operation for these !

I just want to isolate the manually created function of script blocker from others. Of course, one may add file extensions as many as he or she likes. One may enable or disable the default set according to his or her preference. It is a usual practice to isolate things when doing testing or when one wants to describe one's ways of problem solving.

But one thing is important. Please do not follow what I said in my first post. The blocker function in Avast Home is actually acting in a way totally different from a reasonable person's ways of interpretation. The blocker protects the specified file extensions, rather than prevents them from creating, modifying or deleting other files. You may read my another post titled "Questions about blocker in Avast Home".

Delta

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 01:37:18 PM »
Robin Keir's Scriptrap allows scripts to be scanned with AVs.

keir.net/scriptrap.html

Delta.