Author Topic: Avast Pop-up  (Read 1981 times)

photorn

Avast Pop-up
« on: May 25, 2012, 01:06:15 AM »
I use Avast 4.8.  I had upgraded a while back but I didn't like it.  I uninstalled it and reinstalled the 4.8.  I keep my definitions up to date and I am very pleased.  However, I get a pop-up about every 1/2 hour telling me that my version is out of date and that I should update and also get the pro edition.  (I have the free edition.)  In addition, the pop-up tells me that my registration is expiring.  I know it is not because I just re-registered a few weeks ago.  How can I stop this pop-up?  It is driving me crazy.  Any help offered will be gratefully appreciated.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast Pop-up
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 01:14:38 AM »
Why do you still use 4.8?

photorn

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 01:21:00 AM »
Because the newer versions caused a conflict with some of my other programs and also (for some reason) slowed my computer.  The 4.8 works well for me.  I've used it a long time and was glad to go back to it.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 01:25:02 AM »
I see, can you please tell me which software had a conflict with a newer version?
v4.8 is not supported anymore, I think those annoying popups are displayed deliberately to force our users to upgrade to the latest version.

photorn

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 01:44:31 AM »
Zone alarm was one of them and I don't recall others but in general, it slowed my machine.  I come from the perspective- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  I know programs update all of the time.  They get bigger and more bloated and do more things.  I want avast as an antivirus and I really don't want a zillion other features.  That is why I dropped Norton and McAfee years ago.  If you could just tell me what file I need to disable to stop the pop-ups, I would be a very happy camper.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 03:06:54 AM »
I've answered elsewhere as this seems to be double posted... ::)
The best things in life are free.