Author Topic: Trojan? The more I delete the less disk space I have.  (Read 6289 times)

VAIO-II

Trojan? The more I delete the less disk space I have.
« on: June 01, 2012, 05:12:25 PM »
Hello,

Can someone please, please, please help me.

I have a Windows 7 Pro machine, with 500GB and recently it has been decreasing in hard drive capacity to the point I had only a few GBs left, so I decided to get rid of some large old files - it turns out - the MORE I DELETE THE LESS SPACE IS ACTUALLY FREED UP!

As illogical as it may seem, I'm not on crack!

Clearly this must be due to some sort of virus since I happened to have carried out a full scan scan  my system (just felt like doing it, not suspecting anything - I have a good habit of scanning every couple of months!) yesterday using AVAST (free edition) and nothing turned up. However when I did a preboot scan two or three trojans came up which I deleted - only for this problem to come up today.

What do I do?

I now have 0 bits of free space - none whatsoever on my C drive.

I neither have a backup copy or recover disk created because I was unable to create a HP Elitbook recovery disk due to some technical issues.

Any assistance would be kindly appreciated as I have some very important work to do and can't afford to waste days on end trying to sort this out - I might just throw it out the window on to my car!

Thank you once again  :'(

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
Re: Trojan? The more I delete the less disk space I have.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 05:39:46 PM »
Hi VAIO-II,

Very unusual.

Would you please follow the instructions here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
and attach given logs.
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

VAIO-II

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 05:46:20 PM »
Hi !Donovan,

Thanks for your response, I shall do that as I soon as I am able to.

Thanks again for your response.

VAIO-II

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 06:26:02 PM »
Hi,

Sorry, did you want logs for malwarebytes antimalware ? I won't be able to install any programs because I have 0MB of free space  of 500GB on my computer (not this one I'm using at the moment).

So I won't be able to install any programs.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 06:30:41 PM by VAIO-II »

true indian

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 06:53:55 PM »
I guess u have no malware but a very small issue...Clear the system restore it occupies alot of space

right click on my computer>>choose properties>>click on system protection>>click configure>>choose delete[The screen may freeze for a minute or so after clicking delete be patient]>>create new restore point again

follow number in screenshots for steps
[1,2,3,4]

then clear temp files see here and follow instructions: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 06:58:41 PM by true indian »

VAIO-II

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 07:20:45 PM »
Important Update:

I think I've found the culprit: Jetico BCWipe. I've never used this program(I bought the laptop from gumtree & have left most of the programs it came with because they seemed useful) but there's a folder in the C drive which is a hidden and called: ῀BCWipe Del" ...I think it has the 'Del' part....

So here's what happened:

1. This folder had a file that was 69.4GB...
2. Everytime something was being deleted from browser cache, temp folders, Recyle Bin etc it was going to this folder....
3. When Recyle bin is emptied it was going to this folder...
4. I managed to delete this 69.4GB file BUT....
5. All the other mini files ( 20KBs<) & there were thousands upon thousands (>10K+) which were not more than 50MB could also be deleted via simple delete or shift+delete BUT...two things....first these mini files kept on increasing and more were flooding into this folder and I was playing cat and mouse trying to delete them to no avail (& at the same time my C drive is decreasing in available space as these files pile up!).
6. I tried to delete BCWipe.....it wouldn't let me...an error
7. Used RevoUninstaller to remove this program and that folder "BCWipe..." dissapeared! Horroa!

I looked at my AVAST log and found the following 4 virus/trojans deleted from last scan during bootup (I recall two were trojans at least and were deleted by Avast)L

1. Win32-Delf-MBA [Trj]
2. Win32LDelf-MBA [Trj]
3. PUP Win32-gen [PUP]
4. PUPL Win32LPUP-gen[PUP]

So all in all people a happy ending :) I now have Malwarebytes installed, scheduled weekly scans, I don't have this nasty folder filling my C drive up with useless files and I'm happy :)

Moral of the story, if you buy a laptop from ebay/gumtree make sure you do a full scan or remove programs you don't need!

Any thoughts, insights people?

Thank you once again for your assistance, greatly appreciate your time.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
Glad to see your problem was fixed! :)
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

VAIO-II

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 09:09:03 PM »
I hope it was fixed because I did a full scan with malwarebytes and it found another object  :o

Thanks once again