Author Topic: After installing Avast Home, unable to connect to internet  (Read 14592 times)

haertig

Re:After installing Avast Home, unable to connect to internet
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2005, 10:09:08 PM »
...and he ran some program I was thinking about trying but I didn't think it would work, but sure enough, it worked!  I'll get the name of it the next time I go over there.
Some spyware is known to replace winsock.dll  I'm wondering if during the cleaning process that this file was detected as having been replaced, and subsequently deleted by whatever cleanup program you were using?  Maybe your friend's CD included a utility that replaced the missing or corrupted winsock?  I'm just guessing at possibilities here.  Whatever ... glad you got it fixed!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2005, 03:49:06 AM »
Maybe your friend's CD included a utility that replaced the missing or corrupted winsock?  I'm just guessing at possibilities here.  Whatever ... glad you got it fixed!

Winsock problems?
Try Winsock that is a freeware utility, designed to restore original Windows 98/2000 socket files, winsock.dll and wsock32.dll.

Some very malicious viruses/trojans (such as Matrix, Hybris, Happy 99) replace these files with their own and thus prevent user from using anti-virus software, block email sending and block some webpages. The user of so badly infected PC usually can not do anything, even ask for a help, as email sending is blocked.
You need Winsock restore if:

You can not visit certain website
Can not write emails to certain adresses
Your antivirus software is blocked and won't start
Outgoing emails with attached viruses are being sent without your intervention.
This program automatically recognizes Windows 98 or Windows 2000 and restores the respective files to original condition.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2005, 03:50:39 AM »
I found another, if it can helps:

LSP-Fix
Repairs Winsock 2 settings, caused by buggy or improperly-removed Internet software, that result in loss of Internet access
LSP-Fix is a free utility to repair a specific type of problem associated with certain Internet software. This type of software is known as a Layered Service Provider or LSP, a piece of software that can be inserted into the Windows TCP/IP handler like a link in a chain. However, due to bugs in the LSP software or deletion of the software, this chain can get broken, rendering the user unable to access the Internet.

Unfortunately, this type of software is sometimes quietly installed by unrelated software such as file-sharing programs, sneaking onto a system unannounced. In fact, in many cases, the user does not know of its existance until something goes wrong, and he/she can no longer access Web sites. Common offenders include New.net* (NEWDOTNET) and WebHancer*, which are often bundled with file-sharing utilities, DVD player software, and other free downloads. LSP-Fix repairs the Winsock LSP chain by removing the entries left behind when LSP software is removed by hand (or when errors in the software itself break the LSP chain), and removing any gaps in the chain.

LSP-Fix is not a malware removal utility and does not target specific products. LSP-Fix does not delete any files.

All downloads will fit easily on a floppy disk.

If you are using the program on a machine that cannot open .zip files, or are downloading for a friend whom you're not sure can read .zip files, download the uncompressed files below instead. It will take a bit longer, but this way the program can be used as-is (e.g. from a floppy disk).

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.zip
The best things in life are free.