Author Topic: advanced settings documentation  (Read 10727 times)

GSXR

advanced settings documentation
« on: May 25, 2012, 03:01:10 PM »
Tell me please, where can I find documentation on the advanced settings?
I installed the product on 200 computers and a need to description of the advanced settings.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: advanced settings documentation
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 03:06:41 PM »
And what exactly do you need to change?

GSXR

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 10:24:29 AM »
I need to change many settings to optimally configure the antivirus to different computers under different conditions.
I do have a habit to be able to control my officially purchased products.

---
Как-то так.

Offline spi

• Poster
  • 1st Services
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 02:59:10 PM »
GSX you can download the installation and admin configuration guide from avast website
here is the link if you can not find out from the web:

for Business Protection http://www.avast.com/business-protection#tab7
for Business Protection Plus http://www.avast.com/business-protection-plus#tab7
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + avast Premium 11.1.2241
Network tools: Wireshark+CACE Pilot | Android Softphone + Grandstream UCM61xx | MI4i | Running Out of Time (1999)

GSXR

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 10:35:49 AM »
GSX you can download the installation and admin configuration guide from avast website
here is the link if you can not find out from the web:

for Business Protection http://www.avast.com/business-protection#tab7
for Business Protection Plus http://www.avast.com/business-protection-plus#tab7

There is no description of the advanced features of this document
I am very uncomfortable to control advanced functions without having to hand the documentation
For example I need to block an overdue tasks start.
What is responsible for setting this option? Performactiononstartup?
I'll have to ask questions at the forum about every setting?

Robokill

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 10:58:03 AM »
I am also looking for the expert settings documentation. This due to the fact that the company I work for has local build application which seem to fail with standard settings of avast. We are running BPP but have nearly all features turned off as our programs fail to run.

With the amount of clients we have I simply want to be able to review expert settings to get the best balance between workable/cost efficient and good user experience.

Please do not ask us what we need to know. Please provide a list with expert settings and a simple explenation of what it does.

For instance:

avastcfg://avast5/Common/ActionOnPackedFile

Which options are available and what does it do. ( I assume it is for packaged files but I don't have a dropdown of some sort to change the options so I need the commands available)

This goes for all settings.

Hope you guys can help us. GSXR and more people on the forum request this.

regards

Lennert

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 12:11:53 PM »
There is a UI option for the archive processing - at least in the new version of the program (announced as RC on the forum at the moment).

The raw settings are internal values and their availability / meaning can change any time (theoretically even during virus definition updates) - so it's risky to use them. As far as I know, there is no documentation.
My suggestion for the BP guys would be to remove that section altogether - it can do more harm than good.

As for the application that fails with BPP installed - what exactly happens? What are the turned-off features? Have you contacted the support?
If there's a conflict, it should be fixed somehow... without disabling protection features and lowering the security.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:17:14 PM by igor »

Robokill

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 01:23:49 PM »
Dear igor,

it is a .net application which resolves multiple connections and websites. As soon as the script engine is on it fails. And again, if it does more harm then good then it might be a good idea to change that part to advanced features with UI based programming.

But even if this is changed when can we expect a release. Not an RC as we are in production off course

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 01:27:34 PM »
But even if this is changed when can we expect a release. Not an RC as we are in production off course

Well, after the testing of the RC. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Robokill

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 04:19:57 PM »
......... Really ?

You really are Einstein are you not ?

Now we have two useless posts

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avosec Technical Support
  • Avast Reseller
    • Avosec
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 06:06:12 PM »
......... Really ?

You don't have to be that aggressive.

Just let us know in what settings you are interested and we will give you the equivalent in the expert settings.  :)

Offline spi

• Poster
  • 1st Services
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 05:17:33 AM »
all of us know with the manual guide will help and more use full, but mostly there is a trick or tips maybe we can share to you (robokill)
just tell us what you need and maybe people in this forum can share the experience or help you out from your problem.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + avast Premium 11.1.2241
Network tools: Wireshark+CACE Pilot | Android Softphone + Grandstream UCM61xx | MI4i | Running Out of Time (1999)

Robokill

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 03:44:31 PM »
......... Really ?

You don't have to be that aggressive.

Just let us know in what settings you are interested and we will give you the equivalent in the expert settings.  :)

Sorry, but I know how releases work and I try to get information not posts that we can all think of.

For instance to give an example.

I had a user recieve an .zip file through mail and it wasn't scanned why I have the incomming mail scanner online. I looked at the exper settings and saw that the "avastcfg://avast5/Common/ActionOnPackedFile" its stated on: onlyfile

Is that like a setting where it only scans the top file and not the contents?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 04:05:22 PM »
No, it's not - whether archive content is scanned depends only on the settings of the particular packers.
Are you saying the console doesn't have a page where you can configure the enabled packers for various shields?

GSXR

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 08:28:10 AM »
so it's risky to use them.
Yes , but I am a good admin with extensive experience.
I support the idea of ​​making advanced options devoid of graphical user interface - a good admin will deal himself, but a bad admin is better to not set them
I've learned 90% of these settings and use them to actively
but sometimes the documentation needed
As far as I know, there is no documentation.
this is very bad
you will lose sales
My suggestion for the BP guys would be to remove that section altogether - it can do more harm than good.
this advice you are giving a bad service
this will be the last time I buy avast
I will NEVER buy a product that I can not control by myself
As for the application that fails with BPP installed - what exactly happens? What are the turned-off features? Have you contacted the support?
If there's a conflict, it should be fixed somehow... without disabling protection features and lowering the security.
Thanks.
I want to be able to manage the program for which money is paid
it all
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:18:26 AM by GSXR »