Author Topic: Downloading Avast antivirus  (Read 7102 times)

RUAL

Downloading Avast antivirus
« on: December 25, 2004, 11:53:48 AM »
 :) I want to download Avast antivirus to my laptop. Can I :-

1) Download from the internet to my desktop PC WITHOUT
      installing it.
 2) Download the Avast file to a USB pendrive and install to  
      my laptop from the pendrive.

Many thanks for any advice.

Jlo

Re:Downloading Avast antivirus
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2004, 12:39:30 PM »
Hi,

Yes you can dowload the avast file with out installing it. Just click 'save to' and save it to your 'pen drive' Then transfer it to your laptop and double click the exe file.

Happy Christmas

Jlo

RUAL

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2004, 01:22:27 PM »
 :) Many Thanks Jlo.

Rual

Jlo

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2004, 11:36:29 PM »
My pleasure :)

Happy Christmas

Jlo

RUAL

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 08:29:59 PM »
 :)  Jlo

Have just  successfully downloaded Avast using USB pendrive, but not without a big scare . Uninstalled Mcafee anti virus and disabled firewall, connected pendrive to laptop and  downloaded with  no problems. Clicked RESTART COMPUTER , as  requested for full installation. Computer closed down but would not restart, just leaving a flashing cursor on the screen.Tried everthing to restart, including disconnecting power supply and letting battery run down , but with no success . Decided to call it a day and unplugged the pendrive.
Low and behold, the laptop burst into life and installed Avast with no problems. Have checked all systems and everything seems to be running fine.
     I would advise anybody downloading from a USB pendrive to click RESTART YOUR COMPUTER LATER (I'm sure I was given this option) and uninstall the pendrive before rebooting.
     Any idea why the laptop would not reboot with the pendrive still installed ?

Rual

lee16

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 08:46:41 PM »
RUAL

Im glad avast installed fine, just remeber to keep it up to date  ;)

About the rebooting with the pen drive, it could be many things that caused your laptop not to boot with it in, like your OS, the way your OS is configerd, your PC hardware, your pen drive itself, mabey something was going on inbetween the pen drive and your pc when it was restarting (did you open and install avast from your memory stick or your desktop/folders) etc.

Have yourself a good day now

--lee

RUAL

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 09:35:38 PM »
 :) lee

Operating system is Windows XP Home with 256 Ram. USB 2 pendrive into USB 2 port on laptop. Downloaded and installed direct from pendrive.

Rual

lee16

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2004, 10:15:02 PM »
RUAL

Operating system is Windows XP Home with 256 Ram. USB 2 pendrive into USB 2 port on laptop. Downloaded and installed direct from pendrive.

I was just providing some general suggestions to the problem, i could state for sure the problem as i have never come across it, but i have just stuck my Pen drive in my desktop pc with XP Home installed on it and succsessfuly restarted it.
However it may be because you installed Avast from your pen drive, as the pen drive would most likely still of been in use when you restarted the computer which caused a error/conflict (i could be wrong though).

--lee

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2004, 10:27:51 PM »
Downloaded and installed direct from pendrive.

Rual, welcome to avast!
Do not forget the virus database (VPS) updates: http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/vpsupd.exe
You can install them by the pendrive too.
The best things in life are free.

galooma

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2004, 10:32:49 PM »
Sounds to me like your laptop is configured (in BIOS) to boot from usb therefore having pendrive in stopped normal bootup. just as most pc`s wont boot up properly if floppy is in A drive.
  hopefully nothing to be alarmed at. ;D ;D

RUAL

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 11:41:45 AM »
 :)  Many thanks for all your help.

What a great forum.

Rual