Author Topic: problems with my new avast internet security 7  (Read 51791 times)

bambibear

Re: problems with my new avast internet security 7
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2012, 06:49:35 PM »
hi & thank you for the birthday wish.  there really is no big rush fixing the computer, i'm learning alot.  i would rather take our time & make sure everything is the way it should be rather than rush & something not fixed right.

there is no norton anywhere.  restarted.  see, the norton backup is optional but i didn't sign up for it this time, can't remember about last time computer crashed if i signed up or not.  and yes, it's still there, well until i move it to the deskyop which is where it's supposed to be deleted.

jeffce

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2012, 07:04:53 PM »
Hi,

Could you get me a file path to the icon and maybe that would give us a clue. 

Right-click on the icon >> select Properties >> in the General Tab there will be Location listed...give me the location of the icon.  :)

bambibear

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2012, 07:20:15 PM »
hi.  that diesn't work so i used the snipping tool, which is like a screen picture.  the first one i saved to the desktop, the second i saved to my picture folder.  the hp advisor pill down menu is on the ledt.  most of them i haven't deleted yet, like snapfish.  when you hit the customize your doc on the right side, this is only fyi in case you don't know what to do, solid info only.  hope these help.

bambibear

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2012, 07:21:28 PM »
this is # 1 from the desktop, it said there was too much files.

jeffce

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2012, 01:52:33 AM »
Hi,

I was just over at the Norton forum and seems many people are having this problem, but not a lot on exactly how to remove it.

Download Revo Uninstaller
    [/b]
  • Double click the installation file on the desktop to run the installer.
  • Let it install to the default location.
  • Double click the new Revo Uninstaller Icon on the desktop to start the program.
You will now see a list of installed programs that Revo Uninstaller can remove.
  • Locate the program you are uninstalling <Norton Online Backup (or any other Norton products listed)>
  • Right Click the Icon then choose Uninstall.
  • Click yes to the warning and choose the Uninstall Mode
  • Choose the Advanced option and then click Next.
  • This will launch the programs built in uninstaller. Be patient it can take several seconds.
  • Once the uninstaller is done click Next.
  • Revo Uninstaller will now scan for leftover information. Be patient it can take several seconds.
  • Once this scan is done click Next.
  • You will then be presented of the leftover entries found by Revo Uninstaller
  • Look at ALL of the entries to ensure they relate to the uninstall.
  • Next click Select All > Delete to remove the entries.
  • Click Next.
  • If there are any program file folders left over you will be presented with a list to be removed.
  • Again look at ALL of the entries to ensure they are related to the uninstall.
  • Click Select All > Delete to remove the entries.
  • Click Finish to go back to the uninstall list.
  • Close the program

bambibear

« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2012, 04:18:36 AM »
ok, got it.  power & internet keep going out, mom & i have got bad storms here.  i had this once before, worked really good.  i'll be back later i hope.  thanks much ;D

jeffce

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2012, 01:35:52 PM »
Sounds good.  :)

bambibear

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2012, 02:58:14 PM »
hi & good morning.  i got the revo pro, couldn't find the regular revo on the site, it has 29 days left now.  looked for norton this morning, it did find 2 entries & deleted them.  i restarted & the icon is still there but there is no norton now.  maybe it'll finally go away, the icon i mean.  hope you have a good day.  i'll check back later. 

since the computer has no viruses that i know of, can i run the disk cleaner ?

also, on the avast, can we address these issues ?:
                     first, the password needed to check on any of the settings--anytime i try to go to any settings, it says i need a password & the password is invalid.
                     firewall--do i turn on the firewall for my networks in the firewall settings that came with the hp ?
                     can we make sure i did the license for avast right ?  i downloaded it to the download folder.  when i tried to put it in avast, i double clicked on the folder in the windows download folder.  but, avast still shows insert license key but has a customer number so i just need to know if the license key is installed right.
                      if iforgot anything, i'll let you know.  goyya go make breakfast.  thanks much ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2012, 06:36:48 PM »
@ bambibear
1. Personally I wouldn't use Revo for uninstalling any security application. Most companies have their own uninstall utilities, should the regular uninstall not be enough.

- Uninstall possible remnants of previously installed AVs see, http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/, this has a collection of manufactures removal tools, so that should remove any remnants, registry, etc.

2. If you are being asked for a password to change settings, if you didn't set one, have forgotten it, someone else set it, there is little you can do other than to reinstall avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bambibear

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2012, 09:31:48 PM »
hi davidr.  ok, i understand the uninstall & re-install of the avast, since i had at least one root-lit when i installed the avast internet security.

of you could walk me thru these things:
                when i uninstall, i don't use revo, right ?  also, is it a full un-install or do i keep the settings?
                how do i reinstall ?  go back to my email for when i paid ?
                do i use the trial option or i have a license key option ?  when i got it before, it installed as a trial even though i paid for 1 year, then i downloaded the key to my download folder & double clicked, i never saw numbers or letters, so i'm not sure it was done right.
                how do i save the key ?  desktop or folder ?  and, how do i get the key onto my avast ?
                how & where do i set a password for my avast internet security when i reinstall ?
                will the avast internet security mess with the items i put on according to this forum post ?--OTL, malwarebytes, etc.  they are on the desktop & so are the saved .txt,.dat & .ini files which were sent here to my forum.

i'm sorry i'm asking alot of questions, but after having to do so many factory restores due to hackers & such, i want to get things right the first time.  i hate asking for help, but i had no choice this time.  all of you are so great for assisting me, & i thank you all.  i'll do the uninstall after i hear what i am to do next, & then i'll re-install my avast.  i love the avast & you now have a loyal customer.   awaiting your reply ;D               

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2012, 10:51:49 PM »
Clean Reinstall:
- Download the latest version of avast AIS, 7.0.1426 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for 5.x, 6.0.x and 7.0.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 6.x if previously installed and then for 7.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

If you have already purchased your license you can enter it:
Insert License Key - Check out these knowledge-base articles for the version you have:
- Inserting the license key into: avast! Free Antivirus, avast! Pro Antivirus and avast! Internet Security.

Where you save the key doesn't matter, so long as it is somewhere that you can find it again. If you saved it (license.avastlic) to your download folder that would be fine, it should probably still be there unless you removed it.

You shouldn't need a password, if only you have access to the system, all it is for is to prevent others changing the settings, but that is done from the avastUI, Settings, Password section (see image, click to expand). If you set a password, don't forget it or you would have to reinstall again
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bambibear

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2012, 11:35:02 PM »
hi again, davidr.  thank you.  got both saved, will do it in order, have it all wrote sown.  will let you know if any problems arise.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2012, 12:31:03 AM »
You're welcome.

bambibear

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2012, 03:24:06 AM »
ok, it worked, but do i leave the firewall that came with windows & my internet on ?  it shows the windows firewall with the avast firewall.

and in the run>msconfig>startup, it  always said normal startup; now it's selective--load system services & startup items.  do i move it back to normal startup ?  only asking this because the quick scan said it couldn't scan some files.  the ERUNT is the only thing unchecked.

thanks again for the help. ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2012, 04:17:05 AM »
The avast firewall was designed to be compatible with the windows firewall, so you can opt to leave it on.

I would say that it should be on Normal startup (which I believe is the default), that is what my win7 32bit is on. Generally you would only use the Selective if you were having problems and you didn't want one or more of the sub-options to startup. I think that that may have been changed when you used ERUNT, but I don't know that for sure.

Files that can't be scanned isn't unusual (generally not an indication of them being suspect or infected) and there are many legit reasons why a file can't be scanned.  But we would need more information, e.g. file name, location and the reason why they couldn't be scanned ?