Author Topic: problems with my new avast internet security 7  (Read 51578 times)

bambibear

problems with my new avast internet security 7
« on: May 27, 2012, 03:09:14 AM »
:-\ hi.  i really need help.  avast was highly recommended, so after my last total system
recovery, 2 days ago (for the 5th time), i bought the avast internet security 7 on line at avast.  now, i have several major problems.  the email & IM
aren't registering or reading the emails (this is so urgent to me as this is how i was hacked before) :'(.  no bars are moving & it still shows it has read
no emails. i have both gmail & yahoo for my small business.   today when i tried to check the settings, it said invalid password.  i can't even set the regular settings. :'( as it still says invalid password.  after getting microsoft updates today, my windows 7 64 bit computer was locked.  i had to go into safe mode & reset my windows password.  is my windows password the avast password ?  something is wrong with the avast & i'm getting no answers in the support knowledgable base or avast technical support. :'(  can anybody help me get this working right ????i downloaded the avast thru avast; it installed as a trial as i was still getting updates for the recovered windows 7.  i am not even sure i put the license key in right.  i tried the remote assistance & get no where.  please, please help me.
  thank you, bambibear[/b][/i][/i]

no previous anti-virus installed as i had to do a system recovery.

if you need my order # or product # or customer # i have those.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: problems with my new avast internet security 7
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 04:07:39 AM »
ambibear, take it easy. Get anxious won't help.
I'll try to manage some of the situations.
1. Your Windows password is not your avast! password (unless you've set both the same).
2. avast! shouldn't have blocking your mail of Google or Yahoo. Do you use any email program (like Outlook) or you're using your browser to retrieve/send mail?
3. Inserting the license key into: avast! Free Antivirus, avast! Pro Antivirus and avast! Internet Security.
The best things in life are free.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 04:11:22 AM »
Hi bambibear,

Text below is a recap of your post above, albeit in an easier to understand format.

Posting in larger than normal font size/colors and/or CAPS is akin to shouting, and we don't want/wish that?  Members here are forum users, just like you.

1.hi.  i really need help.

2.avast was highly recommended, so after my last total system
recovery, 2 days ago (for the 5th time), i bought the avast internet security 7 on line at avast.  now, i have several major problems.

3.The email & IM
aren't registering or reading the emails (this is so urgent to me as this is how i was hacked before)  .  no bars are moving & it still shows it has read
no emails. i have both gmail & yahoo for my small business.

4.today when i tried to check the settings, it said invalid password.  i can't even set the regular settings.   as it still says invalid password.

5.after getting microsoft updates today, my windows 7 64 bit computer was locked.  i had to go into safe mode & reset my windows password.  is my windows password the avast password ? 

6.can anybody help me get this working right  ?i downloaded the avast thru avast; it installed as a trial as i was still getting updates for the recovered windows 7.  i am not even sure i put the license key in right.

7. i tried the remote assistance & get no where.  please, please help me.   thank you, bambibear

8.OS:  windows 7, 64 bit 
no previous anti-virus installed as i had to do a system recovery.

################################################################

Follow Tech's advice and then,

Did you do a system restore? Or did you do a factory restore?  (Point # 2)  The difference is crucial.  Why so many times?

Other issues posted above can be addressed by reading and following this sticky here:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Both malware experts here can address issues you now have, but first will need to see the following logs attached:  Malwarebytes, OTL, and aswMBR logs.  Once these logs are attached, and the system is free of malware, then the other issues can be addressed.

To attach all logs:  "Attachments and other options" link below the text box you are writing in, click that, and attach the three logs in the 'Browse' line below.  Note the size limit, is 192 Kb, so you may have to run more than one post to complete all log attachments.

Nothing can really be done without the logs being attached here first.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 04:28:07 AM »
Point # 3)  Avast does not scan web-mail, as gmail and yahoo! are.  If these are imported into Outlook, then yes, Avast! will scan.

Point # 5)  No, your avast password is not your Windows password.  Only way this could be, is if you set it this way when you set the password for Avast!

Point # 6)  As the Avast! Internet Security is still running on a trial basis, you still have full protection for 30 days or until you successfully insert your license you purchased.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

bambibear

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 04:54:48 AM »
hi.  i hope i can answer all of you.

tech: i use the browser for my email.   when i downloaded the paid version, i bookmarked thar page to come back the next day & save the license key folder, i just don't know if it's right.  it does say i'm actively proyected.

mchain:  i truly apologize, i didn't know i was doing things wrong.  it was a total system restore, or out of the box condition.  on the full scan, avast did find a root-kit that it removed or moved, this i'm not sure of.  i have no logs from malwarebytes or the others as avast is my virus, spam, everything security  now.

why?  ok, the first 3 times were from hackers, not malware.  new hard drive arrived less than 2 months ago, i was hacked & invaded by what i am not sure because hp took care of it, i have an extended warranty. 

i do have a license key, a customer order number, a product number, customer number & a confirmation from paypal i bought the 1 year subscription.

i have done 3 fullscans, the first found 2 infected files but when hp updated them yesterday, then they were fine.  scans later in the day showed no problems.

so, what should i do now ?  thank you

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 06:13:45 AM »
When you use your browser for your email, the email provider should scan all email before it arrives in your computer.  I know Yahoo! uses Norton, but exactly what gmail uses, I do not know, as I do not have an account there.  Norton scans all downloads and email attachments in Yahoo! before it arrives on my desktop.

Avast! does not scan web mail as the above is true in any case, and the email providers do it for you.

No offense was intended, so none taken.

If this was indeed a factory restore, question is, did the restore come with a factory (hp) installation of an antivirus program?

Even if you have not ever run the hp installed a/v program, you can have problems with avast running properly in the future, as you would need to uninstall that program (not avast) to ensure you do not have that sort of problem.  Two potentially resident antiviruses on the same system can cause unwanted behavior.

If Avast! did indeed find a root-kit, then it is important to delve further into your system to remove all remnants left behind.  If the updates from hp cleared your infections, it is possible these were false positive results, and if hp restored these files with known clean ones, then the scans made later in the day would hold true, that there is no further infection? 

It is worrisome Avast! found a root-kit, however, so soon after a factory restore of your system.  Are you at SP1 for Windows 7?

Attaching the logs from the programs posted in the sticky will allow a malware expert to look over your system to make sure it is, in fact, clean.
This sort of information will be viewable only if you attach the logs from these programs here.

bambibear

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 06:34:23 AM »
hi again.  i have run malwarebytes & OTL.  will finish tomorrow as it's almost 1 a.m. here.  thank you, tech & mchain for the help.

sorry, mchain, just got your message.  yes, it was a factory restore.  there was norton internet security, i refused.  also nortonon line, again i refused.  after i removed these, even though i never installed, i restarted, removed registry parts left, restart, then i got the avast.  maybe there was norton left even though i never got it.  see, this is an hp where i choose the a/v, i had none added, just optional.

so far i love avast. 

malwarebytes i had no problem with, as far as i can see.

on the "OCT",  avast kept not allowing it to be sandboxed after 15 seconds so i had to run it normal.  tried 3 times before i figured it out.   can't figure out the results for this yet.

i'm a  female computer  so-so geek, who only knows the basics.

thank you mchain for worrying, wow i'm flattered.  makes me feel like people care, so i thank you.

i'm not sure of the SP1 or SP2, jusr got more updates.

am i do go step-by-step in the sticky note to make sure the system is clean ?  i'll finish up tomorrow as i have these bookmarked. 

thank you all, have a great nite & i'll return tomorrow.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 07:04:36 AM »
bambibear,

A malware expert has been notified and will look over your logs. 

Please be aware that any fixes/repairs are specially crafted for your system only; and run only additional programs when asked to do so.  Please follow any instructions to the letter, and do not hesitate to ask for clarification if not sure what to do.

Example:  aswMBR.exe fails to run.  Let the expert know.  He will tell you what to do.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 07:46:09 AM »
I know Yahoo! uses Norton, but exactly what gmail uses, I do not know,
Gmail use postini spam virus filter with twin AV engines from Authentium and McAfee

MSN / Hotmail / Livemail use Trend Micro

bambibear

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 03:20:47 PM »
hi & good morning all.  i am assuming i run everything on the sticky note page as mentioned by mchain.  i keep the logs to let avast fotum people know.  my question here is do i delete the malwarebytes, OTL & the others once i post the logs ?  thanks.  i'll return with more logs sometime today or as i get them.  have a great day everyone & thank you for all the help & assistance here.

bambibear

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 03:32:40 PM »
ok, i don't think i need everything on the sticky note, what is left is the asw.MBR.exe.  i'll run it after the full system scan gets done.  still haven't deleted anything from yesterdays scans.  i'll be back with the results.  thank you.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 03:39:06 PM »
  my question here is do i delete the malwarebytes, OTL & the others once i post the logs ?
the malware remover will remove the tools when he is done fixing your comp

bambibear

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 03:43:13 PM »
hi pondus.  thank you for helping me.  do i still get & run the aswMBR.exe when avast is finished scanning ?  do you know if the aswMBR.exe is the last test & malware checker i need ?  thanks

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 03:47:59 PM »
yes attach the aswMBR log when ready.....it is important when looking for rootkits

bambibear

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 03:55:28 PM »
ok, got it.  the avast full scan is almost done.  thank you again, pondus.