Author Topic: problems with my new avast internet security 7  (Read 51747 times)

bambibear

Re: problems with my new avast internet security 7
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2012, 04:58:03 AM »
hi again.  boy was i worried about the firewall, so i guess i should be double protected

jeffce had me disable  it as when i rebooted, it kept telling me these ?? wouldn't load things & i just kept clicking yes to continue.

my win 7 has had  too many troubles in the last couple months.  trying so hard to be so secure with firewalls, malware & virus protection that actually works, IE7 security, etc.  i really don't have anything they may want, so i don't understand why these people keep coming back to me, or maybe i just feel like they are.  i really hate hackers.

ok, i feel better, got it out of my system. 

if i move the startup to normal, then i can't uncheck the ERUNT because if i uncheck ERUNT, it goes back to the selective.  should i go to normal & see what happens ?

jeffce

« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2012, 02:09:44 PM »
Hi,

Thanks DavidR for the input here.  :D

ERUNT you will want to have remain unselected.  Windows will try to block it from running due to the UAC on your operating system.  So every time you start your system, ERUNT will try to start and you will receive the errors you spoke of before.  Another option would be that we can just remove ERUNT when we are finished.
---------

bambibear

« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2012, 02:58:05 PM »
good morning jeffce & davidr.  did davidr tell you i had to get the revo uninstaller pro as there was no place to get the regular revo ? 

i had to do the uninstall of the avast per davidr instructions & then the reinstall.  so far so good, not asking for a password.  no bugs or bad viruses yet.  yea !!

we don't have to uninstall the ERUNT if it will back up my system somewhere.  i have a small portable  pocket media hard drive that hp recommended for my files as i don't download videos or music.  i have to reformat it though as what's on it is from the last time.  i also back up the photos for my businesses with cd's.  i think i'll use the pocket madia hard drive for the downloads, some of the desktop, & the avast internet security if that's ok to do.

glad to see you again jeffce.  davidr was a big help yesterday, had no problems with the uninstall & reinstall.

jeffce

« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2012, 03:03:22 PM »
Hi,

Yes DavidR does great work!  :) 

As for ERUNT you can run it manually once a week or so to back up your registry and you will be good to go.  I think you have a good plan for saving your downloads and such as well. 

How is your system behaving? 

bambibear

« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2012, 03:21:57 PM »
so far so good.  starts normally, no problems with wifi or anything loading.  have had no problems on line going anywhere.  microsoft did some security updates yesterday, normal for microsoft, & i still have no problems.  silverlight & adobe also updated, no problems.  so, i guess the system is behaving right.  so far so good.  yea !! ;D

jeffce

« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2012, 04:15:13 PM »
Great!!  Glad to hear! 

You have an older version of Adobe Reader.  You can download the current version HERE

You may want to consider Foxit Reader instead. It may be a bit lighter on resources.

Visit their support forum
Foxit Forum

In either case you should uninstall Adobe Reader 9.3 MUI first. Be sure to move any PDF documents to another folder first though.
----------

Let me know if you have any problems with the instructions above and if there are any more malware related problems.  :)

bambibear

« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2012, 05:56:50 PM »
wow, just read about the foxit reader, awesome !!  i'll uninstall adobe later, as i'm moving the foxit to my download folder for later.  do i uninstall the adobe thru add/remove or thru revo uninstaller ? 

i'll be gone for a couple hours, so when i get back i'll see what you recommend for uninstalling adobe.

i'll also let you know if i get attacked by any bad malware or bugs.  can i save my pdf files to a cd & put them back on after i get the foxit reader ?

thanks jeffce, you've been a big help so far.

jeffce

« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2012, 06:03:17 PM »
Hi,

Yes you can just save your PDF files to a CD to save them.  You don't have to remove them from your system though....it's more of a backup just in case, but I have never had a problem. 

To remove Adobe you can do so by going to Start >> Control Panel >> Programs and Features and uninstall it from there.  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2012, 06:08:26 PM »
Personally I would only use Revo (for non-security based applications) if the normal uninstall, programs & features, didn't work.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2012, 10:39:29 PM »
Personally I would only use Revo (for non-security based applications) if the normal uninstall, programs & features, didn't work.
The majority of the times, Revo starts with the normal uninstallation... So, if the normal is failing, the only possibility is the Revo "scanning" after that and basically delete files and registry keys. But it's not safe most of the times (specially with application with drivers and services).
The best things in life are free.

bambibear

« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2012, 01:52:47 AM »
wow.  ok, there is 1 uninstall thru add/remove from jeffce.  one using revo from davidr.  and tech says maybe revo.  hi there jeffce, davidr, & tech.  hope you are all well today, i had a great day, in a terrific mood.  earned some money recucling.

i'll try to do the add/remove the normal way, even though there will still be parts left, right ?  or maybe not. 

i love what i read about the foxit reader, & the security they have.  i know for a fact if adobe forgets to update, you are prone to viruses & such.  found this out on my desktop hp.  i'll be back to let you kmnow how the uninstall, reboot, installation of foxit, reboot goes.

thank you jeffce, davidr, & tech, & anybody else who helped that i forgot.  you guys are helping me so much, i truly appreciate the fact that you guys care enough to work with me.  it means alot to me.  thank you !! ;D

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2012, 06:37:46 AM »
hi again.  boy was i worried about the firewall, so i guess i should be double protected
Actually, Avast! Internet Security is designed to work with the Windows 7 firewall running alongside its own firewall, unlike just about all other security solution available to consumers out there.  Other security solutions will insist you turn Windows 7 firewall off to avoid conflict with their firewall.  So, in effect, you would have only one software firewall running.

Windows 7 firewall does offer firewall protection for IPv6, whereas Avast! appears to not cover this.  So, yes, you get double protection when you run both Windows 7 and Avast! firewall together, as one will complement the other in a seamless manner.  Avast! covers IPv4 protocols, and Windows 7 covers IPv6, so they work well together.

If you have Windows 7, this is another reason to love AIS.  Normal best practices would say to only run one firewall at a time, but this is an exception.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2012, 12:10:36 PM »
I never said use Revo, I qualified the comment:

Quote from: DavidR
I would only use Revo (for non-security based applications) if the normal uninstall, programs & features, didn't work.

Even then that is only if there is no specific uninstall utility from the applications writers.

I have never used Revo as I simply don't feel it is necessary, never been in a situation were I needed a 3rd party uninstall application (Revo or otherwise) and I certainly wouldn't pay for one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bambibear

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2012, 03:50:53 PM »
hi mchain & davidr.  davidr, i apologize if you thought i meant you use revo all the time.  i was just trying to lay out the options you guys told me about, i'm sorry davidr.

i don't plan on buying the revo uninstaller, i was following everything i was told to get for my windows 7, trying to fix & correct problems.  i plan to uninstall the revo when i am told to.

mchain, how are you ?  my first responder, thank you for all the help .  yea my laptop here is windows 7.  i know what you mean about others telling you to turn  off the windows firewall, maybe that's where i was hacked as the a/v firewall i did have didn't protect the system like it should have. 

oh, jeffce, the norton icon is gone !!  yea !!!  disappeared yesterday.

uninstalled adobe, no problems.  installed foxit reader, awesome !!!!  no bugs, no viruses, so far avast says i'm good.  haven't run malwarebytes since you had me get the last log file.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2012, 04:42:45 PM »
No problem, just clarifying.