Author Topic: Avast Free couldn't scan certain files  (Read 4706 times)

Gurrasnurra

Avast Free couldn't scan certain files
« on: June 24, 2012, 06:55:26 PM »
Hey!

I am not good with computers so I really need some help from you guys! :)

I did a scan today with Avast and got a result where certain files couldn't be scanned. I read around on forums and tried a boot-up scan and got this result.

I have also scanned the computer with Spybot Search & Destroy but that program didn't find anything...

Is there anyone that know what the problem is since this has never happened to me before?

Thanks for the help!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Free couldn't scan certain files
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 07:28:05 PM »
You didn't say why they couldn't be scanned which is also important.

There are many legitimate reasons why a file/s can't be scanned (password protected, corrupt archive, etc.).

If you have searched the avast forums you will see many such instances and essentially they are just files that can't be scanned, not that they are infected/suspicious, just that they can't be scanned and why.

Both of these factors file Location and why they can't be scanned to determine if it is legit.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gurrasnurra

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 07:36:03 PM »
Sorry, forgot that.

It says, on both files (translated from swedish): Computerfault (CRC-fault Cyclic Redundancy Check error 23)

Why, after 100 scans before, cant Avast scan theese files?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 09:08:22 PM »
I'd say your disk is going bad.
The error means that the system wasn't able to read the data from disk because of a bad sector(s).

My suggestion would be to quickly backup all the important data you have (on some other physical disk or media, or course) and get a new disk.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 09:13:53 PM »
The nature of a CRC fault can happen at any time, effectively the file is corrupt, usually due to a small hard disk fault.

Check this old avast topic same error, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=59594.0.

Background information on the Cyclic Redundancy Check, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_redundancy_check.

You might be able to fix it using the chkdisk repair function (but this could be the first indication of a failing hard disk), see, http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_fix_a_cyclic_redundancy_check_error_when_i_try_to_copy_a_file.html.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security