Author Topic: Repeated 'Trojan Horse Blocked' / 'Malicious URL' alerts  (Read 46820 times)

jeffce

Re: Repeated 'Trojan Horse Blocked' / 'Malicious URL' alerts
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2012, 01:51:45 PM »
Hi,

Delete you copy of OTL and then download a fresh copy.
Open OTL
In Custom Scans/Fixes put the following:

c:\windows\installer\@ /s
c:\windows\installer\*.@ /s

Run a Quick Scan and attach the new log. 

jesamine

« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2012, 02:53:44 PM »
Hi,

When I recently tried to carry out an OTL Fix my computer immediately crashed into a black screen....you suggested trying in Safe Mode, but I can't use Safe Mode because my keyboard doesn't function at start-up.  :-\
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 04:54:20 PM by jesamine »

jeffce

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2012, 03:57:58 PM »
Hi,

Ok....I am wondering if it might be a new variant of a rootkit that is out there.

Please delete the current version of Combofix.exe from your desktop and download a new version from here to your desktop.

Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications.

Double-click on the Combofix.exe and follow the prombts on your display. When finish, it will create a C:\Combofix.txt. Please post this log for further review.
---------

jesamine

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2012, 04:53:26 PM »
May I ask what is making you think that....the BSOD I had while GMER Rootkit Scanner was running (I have never had a BSOD before and I've read that a number of others have had this issue too)? Or something on the logs....if so what exactly (I'm interested and inquisitive)? The only original problem I had was the infected MySpace pages. I'm afraid to run anymore scans because of the further BSOD I recently had at start-up.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 05:07:38 PM by jesamine »

jeffce

« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2012, 05:06:56 PM »
I am just looking over similar symptoms that others are experiencing.  Did you ever run HDTune like I instructed you to do? 

jesamine

« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2012, 05:17:57 PM »
Okay....no, because it's a scan and I'm afraid of another BSOD, which could potentially leave me without a computer - I do not have a spare one.

jeffce

« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2012, 05:46:15 PM »
With the age of your system it seems like the hard drive might be failing, but if you don't run the scans I am not sure how I might be able to help you?   :-\

jesamine

« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2012, 01:45:37 AM »
Yes, that may be the case, I guess I'm scared of speeding up the process  :)....I want to run a Dell Hardware Diagnostics Test, but it requires Microsoft NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and I am having problems with installing it, been trying all night....

jeffce

« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2012, 03:32:20 AM »
Are you getting any error messages when you are trying to update the NET Framework???

jesamine

« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
I had a very strange start-up this morning - trying to remember if I left it in Stand By by mistake - pages are not loading correctly either. Think this computer may completely conk out at any point now.  :(

Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1:

I am being advised that: Setup has detected that this computer does not meet the requirements to install this software. Requirement: Windows Installer 3.1.

However, when I try to install Windows Installer 3.1: Setup has determined that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying. There is no need to install this update.

Checked on the Microsoft download page....it's not actually suitable for XP with SP3. If I can I will email Dell today about this issue.

Thanks for staying with me on what may be a sinking ship.... :-\

jeffce

« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2012, 01:34:15 PM »
Hi,

You could visit the page here >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982 and press the FixIt button.  That may help with this problem.

jesamine

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2012, 05:11:26 PM »
Another BSOD at start-up:

An attempt was made to write to read only memory.

STOP 0X000000BE

USbuhci.sys -

Then:

The system has recovered from a serious error

Microsoft Windows Error Reporting

Troubleshoot a problem with a device driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused Windows to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.
Steps to address this problem

Use Windows Update to check for updated drivers (Already done - no essential updates necessary)
Steps to work around this problem

Warning
These steps are designed to address a particular problem but might do so by temporarily disabling or removing some functionality on your computer.

If this problem occurred after you installed a new hardware device on your computer, the problem might be caused by the device driver. Go online to learn how to use the Dell Driver Reset Tool or uninstall the driver.

How do I disable or uninstall a device driver?
        Click Start, and then click Control Panel. If you are using Classic View, click Switch to Category View.
        Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
        Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
        Click the plus sign (+) next to the faulting device. You should now see the device listed.
        Right-click the device, and then click Disable or Uninstall.

If this problem occurred after you installed new software, the software might have installed a driver that caused the problem. Try uninstalling the software. Could GMER Rootkit Scanner have installed a driver? Although we did use the 'Clean' tool.

How do I uninstall a program?

If you don't know the specific driver or software, go online to learn more about performing a System Restore.
    For information about your support options, go online to the Support.Dell.Com website.

I have emailed Dell Sales because attempts to contact Technical Support failed due to my service code not being found. I only want to ask about the test which is free for all though....it's not warranty related.

Will keep trying with Microsoft NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

There's an email address for GMER Rootkit Scanner - maybe they'll have an idea of what might have sparked this issue off during the scan? Maybe the computer was already on the edge and it tipped it over?

You're supposed to be here for malware removal only....and I'm becoming a wreck.  :-\
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:21:51 PM by jesamine »

jeffce

« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2012, 05:26:06 PM »
Hi,

There seem to be corrupted files on your system that are causing problems.  GMER is nothing more than a scanner and we did nothing with it to try and fix anything.  The fact that the BSOD began when the program was running is coincidental. 

I am sorry but I don't recall...Do you have the XP install CD? If so, go to Start -> Run and type sfc /scannow Press Enter

This will initiate the Windows File Protection system, which will scan through your system files and check to see if any are damaged.

jesamine

« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2012, 05:51:31 PM »
Okay....no, I don't have a CD unfortunately (and I don't know anyone who has one)....I wanted to do sfc /scannow before for another issue but couldn't....

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:55:41 PM by jesamine »

jeffce

« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2012, 06:39:33 PM »
Ok... I am checking with colleagues to see what we can get worked out.  :)