Author Topic: Repair bug that renders Web Shield useless  (Read 2373 times)

GloobyGoob

Repair bug that renders Web Shield useless
« on: May 12, 2012, 01:22:12 AM »
Hi,

After repairing AIS on my 32-bit machine a few weeks ago, a Windows popup reported that the installer package might have not worked properly, so I clicked "Uninstall using the recommended settings." Soon after, there was a popup with an avast error, saying to reinstall the program. Following a reboot, the GUI reported that the Web Shield was running, but no web pages were able to be scanned. Following repairs did not fix the problem. Uninstalling the Web Shield component only and reinstalling it did not fix the issue.

It wasn't until today that found out why the Web shield wouldn't function, when I repaired AIS using the Windows recommended settings on my 64-bit machine, which is also experiencing this problem atm.

Not looking for a solution here (I bet a clean install would do the trick, I just don't want to right now), just want to report this. Is anyone else experiencing this problem also?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Repair bug that renders Web Shield useless
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 05:22:12 PM »
I bet a clean install would do the trick
;)
Save your avast settings and import them later will make the process easier.
The best things in life are free.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 07:15:47 PM »
I bet a clean install would do the trick
;)
Save your avast settings and import them later will make the process easier.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I ended up reinstalling to fix the issue. Also, I was unable to sandbox Internet Explorer 64-bit before the reinstall; it might have had to do with the repair failure/bug, but I'm not sure. Everytime I run it, it would open up regularly, unsandboxed. I tried using both the "Run in sandbox" and "Always run in sandbox" options, aswell as adding IE64bit into the virtualized applications list in the settings.

Sorry for bumping up this old thread, but it's been almost 3 weeks and no word from anyone else. Can anyone confirm this bug, esp. from the avast! team?

Thanks.

AdrianH

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 08:53:47 PM »
Repair or changing features(adding/removing) produces this issue, I reported it many times over.

Last time I wanted to change the install, ie. remove a feature, I did so in Safe Mode and that worked fine.