Author Topic: The package is broken error thing...  (Read 2682 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
The package is broken error thing...
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:05:34 AM »
We really have to do something about this. And even if it happens for whatever reason, i mean the way to remedy the situation. Repair doesn't work, only way is to re-install it. But the installer just says you need to do full update or something like that. Why doesn't it auto-download the correct installer and automatically tries to repair itself using that? avast! just crapped out on my system and i have to do just that. I can't imagine some regular user to be able to decrypt the error message and do the appropriate repair procedure..

I mean, such systems (antiviruses) need to be fully autonomous, especially parts that keep them running properly. avast! should auto diagnose itself on regular basis and if there are any errors found, it should verify its installer cache integrity (hash if you want) and if correct, try to auto-repair itself. If it still fails like in my case it should automatically download appropriate full package and try to repair itself with that (of course it should tell that to the user in case if they can't transfer big installer at the moment). Because from what i can see now, avast! doesn't have any such technology which i think it's crucial in order for avast! to operate properly and also to make things a lot easier to the end user.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: The package is broken error thing...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 07:56:35 PM »
It will be really good to have a fully trustable repair function. I've passed the same in earlier v7 installations and need to install from scratch.
The best things in life are free.

niteman69

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 11:05:11 PM »
I have been having the same problem the is now the second time in as many days. It is a pain. If the free is this bad why would I want to pay for it?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 01:07:08 AM »
I have been having the same problem the is now the second time in as many days.
There is no difference in quality between the free and the pro. Features and higher protection are the keywords.
Did you install any other security software? Did you use Windows System Restore to an earlier point?
The best things in life are free.