Author Topic: Multi user environment for avast?  (Read 4653 times)

vvv691079

Multi user environment for avast?
« on: December 26, 2004, 01:52:54 PM »
 :D
My PC has four user account by using win XPs multi user environ
-ment. All of them (me,wife  two kids) has administrator authority.

I installed avast 4.5 on my acount ,and checked E-mail scanner
changing accounts  by logging of and on for everyone
(I use outlook&thunderbird, my wife uses outlook&OE6 kids just
 use OE6)

Then  I realliized that e-mail scanner does'nt work exept oulook
for ohters. In my account , e-mail scanner work completety both
for OE6 or thunderbird.

By upgrading to ver4.5, no special  adjustment is needed  for e-
mail for win XP.
But I am wondering whether avast's e-mail scanner can deal with
 multi user  enviironment....

Win XP Pro SP2
avast4.5 Bitdefender7.2  sygate5.5
pentium4 1.8GHz 512MB RAM

S.Z.Craftec

Re:Multi user environment for avast?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 02:28:44 PM »
Welcome to forums vvv691079 !

First of all, having 4 different account on one computer is great, but giving your kids administrator rights is not the best idea you could come up with... much better if you create accounts with limited rights for them (actualy, for your wife too), and leave only your account with administrator rights. If something needs to be changed in the future on their accounts, you can always do that under ADMINISTRATOR account (that's why we have it in the first place). Giving administrator rights to everybody makes no sense... it just kills the meaning of accounts with limited rights. See this picture I posted earlier:

You need to log on under ADMINISTRATOR account, not under your account with administrator rights. See the right hand side on that screenshot...

Best you can do is completely uninstall avast! Use avast! uninstall utility, and read carefully instructions (very simple btw):
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_uninstall_util.html

Then restart your PC if needed, and when you come back to the Windows logon screen, under login name type administrator and under password, type the password you choosed before as your ADMINISTRATOR account password. Note that this differs from your own account with administrator rights.

When you are logged in Windows under real ADMINISTRATOR account, now you can properly install avast! from the scratch. All your user accounts will be evenly and fully protected next time you're logging under any of those accounts.  ;)

Cheers !
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 02:34:33 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

vvv691079

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 02:51:34 PM »

Thank you for rapid reply.
All right, your advise is completely proper and lawful. I will soon change their account
to more limited one.

And  I also tried your latter advise by using "administrator".
I'll let you know after succeeded.
 ;)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 03:00:22 PM »
No problem my friend... rapid ? I wouldn't say it was that quick. You should see some other responses sometimes. Sometimes the delay between question and answer is so short (few minutes), so this rather looks like eternity compared to that  ;D.

We are here to help new avast! users anytime they need our help. These days are pretty slow because of Christmas holidays. Usually, you would get at least 3 answers to your question in about 10 minutes...

Cheers !

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 03:23:58 PM »
If you have XP Pro, make sure Avast is installed when logged in as administrator, not a user with admin rights.

Some very good info on how to restrict the kids accounts (and make the system more safe) can be found at:
http://www.markusjansson.net/exp.html
http://www.nsa.gov/snac/

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 03:32:31 PM »
If you have XP Pro, make sure Avast is installed when logged in as administrator, not a user with admin rights...

I already warned him Eddy about that. See here:
You need to log on under ADMINISTRATOR account, not under your account with administrator rights. See the right hand side on that screenshot...

Best you can do is completely uninstall avast! Use avast! uninstall utility, and read carefully instructions (very simple btw):
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_uninstall_util.html

Then restart your PC if needed, and when you come back to the Windows logon screen, under login name type administrator and under password, type the password you choosed before as your ADMINISTRATOR account password. Note that this differs from your own account with administrator rights.

Cheers !

vvv691079

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 04:52:23 AM »
 :)

Now my trouble has completely  solved out.

Matter of fact , first I've got to restore Administrator icon on welcome
screen. Someone ,maybe my wife seemed to changed logon screen by
using tweak or other tools.... as you warned me in previous thread....

Anyway,after uninstalling avast, re-installed in Administrator, e-mail
scanner for every acount work well as I expected.

It was very kind of you two to give me these advise.
Thanks again !

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 05:04:07 AM »
I'm glad your problem is gone for good  ;D

Now, your computer is much more secure, you have to be administrator on that computer. I suppose that is your computer, and kids and wife are just additional users... so, they should have all rights to use that computer, but not the rights to change some important things. You should be the one that should manage security related things on that PC. You did it now, and everything is set how it should've been set from the beginning.

Take care and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 05:04:36 AM by S.Z.Craftec »