Author Topic: Scan stops - help, please  (Read 1968 times)

mercurius

Scan stops - help, please
« on: June 03, 2012, 10:53:26 PM »
I have a continuing problem where the scan stops before it has finished. In the scan log, there is one file listed as 'file could not be scanned'  which is as follows:

C:\Documents and Settings/Local settings\Application data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

The error column states: 'The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file (33)'

However when I click on it to apply an action, the Apply button is greyed out. I have searched for the file via Explore in Windows XP in order to delete it, but can't find it.

Any suggestions as to how to resolve this?

Thanks you
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:57:47 PM by mercurius »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Scan stops - help, please
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 10:56:20 PM »
file could not be scanned is not a detection...but a scan error....avast only take action on files detected as malware

i guess avast also say why it could not scan it.....and what is that?

sorry you posted that    ;D
The error column states: 'The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file (33)'
try closing outlook and scan again...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 11:01:21 PM by Pondus »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 11:00:32 PM »
The file can't be scanned - it's your Outlook mailbox and you probably have Outlook running, which is preventing the access to the file.
There's nothing to worry about (scanning that file won't be very useful even of you quit Outlook) - the Mail Shield should take care of everything needed.

mercurius

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 12:50:57 PM »
OK, thanks.

I've closed Outlook and run the fullscan. This time it completes, but still reports the same problem even though Outlook was closed down (and checked in Windows Task Manager under Applications and Processes). Why is that?

mercurius