Author Topic: Hard Drive Swapping Fact-finding Mission  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Hard Drive Swapping Fact-finding Mission
« on: May 30, 2012, 04:09:06 PM »
Three days ago my HP Pavilion exhibited a horrendous Screeeeeching sound.  I got rid of that by lubricating the Power Supply Fan.
But, there was still a very annoying and quite scary and LOUD airplane-like sound.  I really didn't think that could be being caused by the tiny Microprocessor Fan.  I was thinking it was just too horrible and LOUD for it to be caused by such a little Fan.  I was beginning to think that it was more probable that the loud noise was being caused by the Hard Drive.  But, it did turn out to be the Microprocessor Fan that was the culprit.  After bathing the Microprocessor Fan in Penetrating Oil, regular Oil and WD40 and then blowing the excess out ... my HP Pavilion is now running like new as far as the 2 Fans go.  No more Screeeeeching or airplane-like sounds.

Anyway, during all that time of messing with my HP Pavilion, it got me thinking ...
If it HAD been the Hard Drive causing the LOUD noise, COULD I just simply have swapped out that tiny 10 Gig Hard Drive (Seagate ST310212A) with the 400 Gig Hard Drive (Seagate ST3400620A) from my Dell that that idiot woman destroyed in that incident I told you all about recently?

Are Hard Drives that uniform, that compatible?
Or what Info, what criteria would I need to take into consideration to see whether my Dell GX270 computer's Hard Drive would work in my HP Pavilion 6730 computer?
Would changes have to be made to the BIOS?
Would some App / Program have to be run first to prepare the new Hard Drive before attempting the Windows Reinstall?

Some days back in recent times, I had taken a look at the Hard Drives of both computers and the Cable / Wiring setup appears to be the same.  The only difference I noticed was the Jumper there in the back of both Hard Drives was plugged in at different locations.

So yeah, any Info on what's involved with this Hard Drive swapping would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 10:13:38 PM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000