Author Topic: Firewalls and conflicts with avast 7  (Read 15940 times)

iroc9555

Re: Firewalls and conflicts with avast 7
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 06:49:49 PM »
also your member safe surf gave a great post on OA recently on how to exclude avast found it yesteday ill be damned if i can find it again tho

Well not that recently, but I think this is what you were looking for. Thanks SafeSurf:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=91696.msg729839#msg729839

asianmusicguy

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
exclude OA in Avast:

·   Settings > Exclusions > Add > search for Online Armor and click on the box to the left of it and add it, then click OK.
·   Real Time Shields > Expert Settings > Trusted Processes > Add > search for Online Armor and click on the box to the left of it and add it, then click OK.
·   Behavior Shield > Expert Settings > Trusted Processes > Add > search for Online Armor and click on the box to the left of it and add it, then click OK.  Also change action to take in Behavior Shield to “Ask.”

To exclude Avast in OA:

·   Open the OA GUI > Options > Exclusions > Add > click on the pop-up window and find C:\Program Files\Avast Software\.

·   When you reboot OA (to go into Learning Mode), make sure ALL Avast shields are left on.

·   Reboot your machine again; OA requires two boots.  After this second reboot, you may get a pop-up asking you if you trust Avast.  Answer the pop-up as "Trust Always" and "Remember My Decision" and you should not get any more pop-ups.
·   Open the OA GUI > Programs > untick "Hide Trusted" so that you can see everything > look to make sure everything from Avast is not "blocked" (red) or "ask" (yellow).  If it is, right-click the item and change it to "Trust."  Reboot.

·   Open the OA GUI > Options > Backup/Restore > Save your settings once you have everything the way you want it.

Let us know if this fixes your problem.  Thank you.

this great and has almost everything but as im not very advanced id like to know the exact process and things  to set up

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 10:15:15 PM »
Online Armor Free will walk you through the set-up. OA is pretty simple to set-up. After set-up is completed dig into the GUI to get as comfortable as you want. OA Free is an excellent choice it will serve you well. OA Free now has auto-updates, which is a plus.  :)

I found PF to be fairly simple to set-up. Either way you have to dig around the GUI to find out what each has to offer. I found OA Free to do the job just fine. It's the flash player thing that got me, so I switched to PF and found I prefer Private Firewall. The downside of PF is everytime there is an update the user has to uninstall and re-install and export/import settings.  But the user also has the option to "not" update. Do some research then decide which firewall is best suited for you. 

Don't be afraid to try them all. You can always uninstall the one(s) you don't like.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

asianmusicguy

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 10:30:25 PM »
Ok so after reading everything i have decided on using OA i also recently read that flash update block will be corrected in a coming update/ next version thank you guys for all your help what im after is for someone to put a guide here like safe surf did above but be very specific about each file process and folders to exclude where something i can follow and put in a text document im a perfectionist and want everything eith this to go exactly as it should :)
then maybe we could sticky it or something

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 10:32:09 PM by asianmusicguy »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 05:32:33 AM »
To give you a step by step guide will be difficult since every system is different. The main thing is to make mutual exclusions in both OA and avast. Just make sure your computer is virus/infection/malware/spyware free before installing OA Free. Don't get too nervous as OA will lead through the set-up. It really is that simple. If you have problems feel free to visit OA forums. Or you always welcome here. We are more then happy to help when needed. Since you have made your decision rest assured OA will serve you well. I wish you the best.  :)

http://support.emsisoft.com/forum/53-online-armor/  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

SafeSurf

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 10:30:11 AM »
I'm very familiar with Avast and OA, and I've had no conflict with the Flash issue.  However I always uninstall ALL versions of Flash prior to installing an updated version and reboot in between each install (I use the Flash Uninstaller tool).

As posted earlier in this thread, the way to do your exclusions for Avast and OA remains the same no matter what version you are using. 

Let us know if you have any other questions.  We are probably quicker to answer them here.  ;)

asianmusicguy

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 02:42:03 PM »
so basically i exclude the OA program folder in the file shield and in online armor exclude  the avast processes AVAST.SETUP, AVASTSVC.EXE ?
 is that all or have i missed a step?
 also when you say remove all flash do you mean withe adobe uninstall or revo uninstaller or some other too?
and what i meant by guide was likr MBAM has for avast
or Avast see the instructions below:

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Avast! Antivirus 6 (Free, Pro and Internet Security):

Open Avast! antivirus and click on REAL-TIME SHIELDS on the left
    Click on File System Shield on the left and click on Expert Settings
    Click the Exclusions section
    Click on Browse next to the blank entry at the bottom of the list (this will be the only entry if no other exclusions have been set yet)
    In the Select the areas window click on the + next to C:
    Click the + next to Program Files Note: For 64 bit Windows versions this will be Program Files (x86)
    Click the box next to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on OK
    Click OK again
    Click on Web Shield on the left and click Expert Settings
    Click on Exclusions and check the box next to URLs to exclude:
    Type or copy/paste the following address:

*.mbamupdates.com

Click on OK
    Click on Behavior Shield on the left and click Expert Settings
    Click on Trusted Processes
    Click on Browse next to the blank entry at the bottom of the list (this will be the only entry if no other exclusions have been set yet)
    Navigate to C:Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click once on mbam.exe and click Open Note: For 64 bit Windows versions this will be Program Files (x86)
    Do the same for the following files:

mbamgui.exe
        mbamservice.exe

Click on OK
    Close Avast! antivirus

Set Exclusions for Avast! Antivirus Free, Pro and Internet Security in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
    Click on the Add button on the lower left
    In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on avast software and click on OK
    Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

As for the OA firewall as long as Malwarebytes can update itself after OA is installed you should be fine but to be on the safe side you can do this:

Note: Please make sure that in the web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 02:48:29 PM by asianmusicguy »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 03:29:32 PM »
(1) And AVASTUI.EXE if you have it there?
(2) Remove flash with the Adobe uninstaller.
(3)All systems have different software so there is no guide list, which is why you set OA to trust everything on your system, OA should auto learn everything else.

asianmusicguy

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2012, 06:41:16 PM »
 one last thing is i do some testing for a company OA wont effect my connection to the software repo would it?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 06:51:34 PM »
one last thing is i do some testing for a company OA wont effect my connection to the software repo would it?
It shouldn't do, test and see.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 11:25:17 PM »
I'm very familiar with Avast and OA, and I've had no conflict with the Flash issue.
@SafeSurf  see http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/7839-flash-update-being-blocked/
                 and http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/8101-flash-player/page__fromsearch__1  :)

asianmusicguy

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 11:47:04 PM »
ok this is sorta off topic but sorta not oa keeps blocking dll  my games from runningim currently trying to play quest fir glorry 5 which i bought from gog and every time the game loads a new scene i have to approve it im tierd of ticking trust and member my answer id rather have oa then not but it is getting annoying i

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 02:29:43 AM »
Until someone with more experience with OA comes along try the OA  forum link I provided you in reply 19.
Another idea is to tick the "install" box on the OA pop-up. It's been a while since I used OA so I'm winging it from memory.  :)

asianmusicguy

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 02:52:29 AM »
well im not stuck on online armor i could always uninstall   would you recommend privitefirewall for somone like me

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 03:00:59 AM »
You can always try it. Download PF> uninstall OA> re-boot> install PF> re-boot.  :)

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Firewall/Privatefirewall.shtml