Author Topic: Avast Free Re-registration not going through  (Read 3148 times)

focusgma

Avast Free Re-registration not going through
« on: June 01, 2012, 04:35:16 AM »
I have been using Avast Free for a couple of years now after having used AVG for a fairly long time. I have been completely satisfied with the product - until now!
For the last one month, Avast has been reminding me to re-register. Each time, I click on the button. I get the  message "Retrieving Registration information..." for a few seconds and then it disappears. This has been happening regardless of time, so the "servers are busy" argument doesn't hold. it looks like a bait and switch policy is being pushed. The offline registration page also does not open, whether through the program, or through the Avast website.

This is completely deplorable, and I hope Avast gets its act together.

Win XP, Opera 11.64 and IE 9.0.6001, Avast 7.0.1426
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 04:40:12 AM by focusgma »

sylvie hendrika

Re: Avast Free Re-registration not going through
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 06:17:21 AM »
Have the same problem with it. I've just installed this morning Avast Free, register and got the license key by email. Have copied the license key and pasted in the program, but it said that the license key is not a valid one. I have send a email to support@avast.com asking their explanation and for a new license key if possible, but still no reply yet. my computer is running now without protection.
Please help me Avast !

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 02:36:28 PM »
Have the same problem with it. I've just installed this morning Avast Free, register and got the license key by email. Have copied the license key and pasted in the program, but it said that the license key is not a valid one. I have send a email to support@avast.com asking their explanation and for a new license key if possible, but still no reply yet. my computer is running now without protection.
Please help me Avast !
If you've installed the free version then there is no need to insert keys, open the avast UI and click on maintenance then register - fill out the details in the popup and your done.
You are also not without protection, you get 30 days to register and avast is fully functional in this time.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »
I have been using Avast Free for a couple of years now after having used AVG for a fairly long time. I have been completely satisfied with the product - until now!
For the last one month, Avast has been reminding me to re-register. Each time, I click on the button. I get the  message "Retrieving Registration information..." for a few seconds and then it disappears. This has been happening regardless of time, so the "servers are busy" argument doesn't hold. it looks like a bait and switch policy is being pushed. The offline registration page also does not open, whether through the program, or through the Avast website.

This is completely deplorable, and I hope Avast gets its act together.

Win XP, Opera 11.64 and IE 9.0.6001, Avast 7.0.1426
Have you tried a repair and reboot ? if that doesn't solve it i would suggest a clean install of avast.

PerryCS

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 04:10:02 AM »
It's the avast software, not his computer.  I had this on about 300 PC's over a span of a couple of months.  The link doesn't work.  If you click on the paid 1, 2, 3 year links they work.  when you re-register it appears as if they download the form from the web for you to fill out.  The form doesn't appear.  Thus you can't get the key.  I WAS able to do the key manually but it's a pain in the neck when working on hundreds of customer machines every week.

They will fix it eventually.  But I wonder if it's all part of the obfuscate the free version so people in desperation buy it trick.  Make the link not work, so people try the paid versions.  That's what it looks like to me.  It could be an oversight - but due to the hugely increased obfuscation efforts from Avast recently I would bet it's intentional.  Who knows.