Author Topic: avast! AIS 7 Summary Statistics, Windows 8-RP and Flash ax for IE  (Read 1899 times)

Nesivos

Upgraded one of my desktops to W8-RP last night.   I had no problem installing AIS and it appears be to updating and working okay except for a noticeable apparent design flaw.

In the AIS GUI there is a an option under "Summary" called "Statistics"   To see the statistics you apparently have to have the IE "ax" version of Flash installed.   As long as this Flash file was installed prior to W8-RP you could view the Summary Statistics.   

Note:  In W8-RP clicking on the link for the Prior 30 Days Security Report will work with Firefox as your default browser and the Firefox version of Flash installed.

However here is the rub as they say.   W8-RP comes with its own? version of Flash for use with IE10.   However this version of Flash included in W8-RP does not allow you to see the Summary Statistics in the GUI.  On top of that when you try and install the Flash "ax" file, i.e. the version for Internet Explorer prior to W8-RP, Windows does not allow you to install it.   This of course makes sense since W8-RP comes with its own version of IE Flash that will update as needed in the Windows Update.

Clearly this is not a biggie but it appears to be a design flaw in avast! AIS 7, probably due to bad communication from Microsoft to avast! ;D during the design phase of avast! AIS 7.

Note 2:  I uninstalled AIS as the last activity prior to doing the upgrade.   If you upgrade to W8-RP which is W8 RC and probably pretty close to the finished product you should know before the upgrade what files, programs settings W8-RP will allow you keep during the upgrade.   It varies by Windows OS.