Author Topic: Resolved: Can't update Avast virus database and can't access Avast main website  (Read 26619 times)

tfe

Since May 31 I can't update Avast virus database  and program (not automatically, nor manually). The program reports that can not connect to the Avast servers. I have this problem  on 3 computers. I can not access Avast main website www.avast.com, but can access forum.avast.com, support.avast.com

Ping and traceroute results don't show any problems.

Have scanned my computer with: Malwarebytes, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, Panda Active scan, Spybot S & D. No problems found.

Changed computer's IP address. No effect.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:13:18 PM by tfe »

Offline catlin_mc

Re: Can't update Avast virus database
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 09:54:09 PM »
I had this problem too because I had Ashampoo free firewall installed, as soon as I removed it and reinstalled Avast the problem went away.
Hope this helps.

Cat

tfe

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 09:59:09 PM »
I didn't install anything. And this problem I have on 2 computers.

tfe

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 10:26:02 PM »
I just discovered that I can't open avast.com or www.avast.com website. I can open only forum. I am in Spain.

tfe

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 10:48:44 PM »
I can access www.avast.com trough proxy without any problems.

Does it mean that my IP address has been blocked by Avast?

Just restarted the modem and changed IP address, but it doesn't help. Still can't update virus database and cant access avast.com website.

As I wrote I am in Spain.

tfe

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
Just tried to open Avast websites in safe mode. The same - they don't open, except forum.avast.com

Does anyone knows Avast's support email? I can't access Avast website to find it.

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 09:19:48 AM »
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

tfe

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 10:41:17 AM »
DJBone, thank you for your reply.

AVAST Software a.s. is currently blocking access to port 80 (that effectively means websites and updates of avast! software) of its servers from following countries: Iran, Sudan, Cuba, Syria, North Korea and Burma/Myanmar. AVAST Software a.s. [and its subsidiaries/sister companies] must not provide any services in these countries because of policies and regulations that are applicable to AVAST Software a.s.

Blog and forum are available, because we hope they are information source/personal communication service and because of this they have exclusion from these regulations.

I am in Spain. I am not in Iran, Cuba, North Korea etc. Is Spain blocked as well? If yes, why there is no official information about it?

I am very tired, nervous and angry.  2 years ago I had a trojan and a backdoor installed in my PC but Avast didn't report any problems. Now I spent almost 24 hours trying to find out why I can not update Avast and why I can not access Avast website. I have scanned my computer with all possible antivirus software - Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, Panda, Spybot S&D. No problems found, but I still can not update Avast and I can not access Avast website.

So many problems with Avast. Some time ago it reported all websites as infected:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=75982.msg628477#msg628477

Then Avast reported that their own updates are infected:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93599.msg745018#msg745018

I am tired stress and of lack of official information.

If it's a similar case and updates and Avast website doesn't work because Avast have blocked something, tomorrow I delete Avast and install another antivirus software.

true indian

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 10:52:57 AM »
u are talking about things that are 1 or 2 months old..

guys,there is no boycott from avast...its a enforced law on all [well if not all then on many of them] AV companies..please try and understand  :-*

Can u try re-installing your firewall and avast?

tfe

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 11:05:19 AM »
What things are 1-2 months old?

I can't update Avast since May 31, not 1 or 2 months.

If Avast has blocked Spain, why there is no official information so that I can switch to another antivirus software?

true indian

the 2 links u gave are 1-2 months old...more ever u dont have layered protection..

just a antivirus is not enough these days..u need 2 layers of security

no av is 100%

what happens when u try to update?? what error is shown?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 11:27:32 AM by true indian »

tfe

OK, we can discuss about it later, but for now I need to know why I can not update virus database and why I can not access www.avast.com

true indian

the point is many AV's have stopped services in iran and other places..

there is law imposed on many av's and that law states to block AV traffic to some countries...unfortunately avast also has been in the list of AV's ...

yesterday i guess...i saw a post where somebody told that the block was removed...so be patient

true indian

by that time try TOR:
https://www.torproject.org/

this is your answer: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=324815

TOR will prevent avast and its servers from knowing your location and hence it should work and u will be on a reliable and secure network  :D

and here is thread:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=98734.msg787073#msg787073
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 11:41:43 AM by true indian »

tfe

true_indian, thanks, I know about Tor, but it's not a solution.

I need to know the reason why I can not update Avast and why I can not access Avast website.

I am not using a free version of Avast. I paid for it, but now updates don't work. No official information, nothing. I can't use Antivirus which never updates.

If Avast has blocked some countries, including Spain, I need to know it. Then I install another antivirus software and forget about it.