Author Topic: Firefox update to version 13 and Avast! 7 free  (Read 2706 times)

Djinn86

Firefox update to version 13 and Avast! 7 free
« on: June 06, 2012, 12:32:28 AM »
I updated Firefox to the latest version today, Firefox 13.0. How ever, when the installer was just finished and before Firefox opens up after the update, my Avast! 7 FREE popped up about suspicious behavior in a temp folder. I use Avast! 7 free anti virus, and Malwarebytes. I ran a scan with Malwarebytes before Avast! and it found nothing. It had to be Firefox causing the alert, because Firefox would not open until I allowed it through the alert. I also ran a scan with Avast! 7 after that and beyond logic... there was nothing.

So this update must have triggered an alert!

Did anyone have the same problems when updating Firefox if you use Avast! 7 on Windows 7?

Some system details..

Windows 7 Home Premium
Firefox 13.0
Avast! 7 - 7.0.1426
Virus Definition at time of alert: 120605-1
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:37:25 AM by Djinn86 »

Reikki

Re: Firefox update to version 13 and Avast! 7 free
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 03:40:19 AM »
I have the same virus definitions, yet I did not get an alert when I updated. Is your behavior shield set to ask, or auto decide? I've noticed that when set to ask, it asks you about pretty much everything, especially installer files. I set mine back to auto-decide some time ago because it would constantly ask me what to do with some microsoft installers when I was updating Windows.

Djinn86

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 03:50:53 AM »
Hey Camo!

Amazingly, yes it is set to ask! I remember setting it to ask, because I was paranoid about Avast! maybe making a mistake with some file and blocking it and fudging up my laptop.

So, maybe that explains why it suddenly popped up and asked. I've been running scans with MBAM with each new update, and everything is clean.

Reikki

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 04:07:35 AM »
I've personally never had a problem while the behavior shield was set to auto-decide, and I feel that setting it to ask puts a lot of pressure on the user unless they know exactly what they're allowing or denying. I can't say for sure if the behavior shield is at fault, but I've had similar experiences and thought that you might be experiencing the same kind of thing.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:09:11 AM by Camo »

Djinn86

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 04:27:11 AM »
Yep, I think it was this time. Not really to fault, since I had it set to ask, so it was probably doing its job. I've changed it back to auto-decide.

I never really take any chances since this laptop is new, and I don't need it getting infected.

Thanks for the help! And reminding me I had it said to ask.

Reikki

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 05:21:25 AM »
You're welcome! Glad I could help.