Author Topic: New updates?  (Read 6058 times)

happysurf

New updates?
« on: June 06, 2012, 11:37:20 AM »
Avast 7.0.1426 was released three months ago... somebody knows rumors about new version?
Thanks.

Hellion

Re: New updates?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 11:40:43 AM »
Hi happysurf,

Are you experiencing a problem with the current version?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 11:54:17 AM »
Avast 7.0.1426 was released three months ago... somebody knows rumors about new version?
Thanks.

Avast isn't in the Google Chrome and Firefox school of program updates, virtually one released using a stop watch to determine what update is available.

Major Program updates aren't that frequent, but tweaks to resolve a problem are. There are some changes being worked on so there should be a program update in the near future, but there is no fixed date/time frame. Some very minor issues may be updated via the Engines (and virus definitions) auto update function.

So as Hellion asks are you experiencing any problem ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

happysurf

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 12:06:12 PM »
Thanks.

Avast isn't in the Google Chrome and Firefox school of program updates, virtually one released using a stop watch to determine what update is available.

Major Program updates aren't that frequent, but tweaks to resolve a problem are. There are some changes being worked on so there should be a program update in the near future, but there is no fixed date/time frame. Some very minor issues may be updated via the Engines (and virus definitions) auto update function.

So as Hellion asks are you experiencing any problem ?
In my case I have random slow down windows file operations and slow windows boot.
No doubt there are some problems to be solved for this is enough to read this forum to understand.
No software is perfect and everything can be improved right?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 01:56:37 PM »
I have seen one such 'slow down windows file operations' but not random, I tried to replicate it but was unable to. Have you changed any of the default file system shield settings ?

What OS are you using, plus some info on your system (CPU and RAM) ?

Do you have any other security based software installed (anti-spyware, firewall, etc.) running at boot ?

You could check msconfog and see what startup items there are and be very selective in what you allow to run on boot, basically OS functions and your security applications. Many program set themselves to run on boot (medial players are a typical example), when they aren't required immediately.

There is a possibility that the auto update may be running very early if you have a broadband connection that is available very early in the boot process ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

happysurf

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 06:17:46 PM »
I have seen one such 'slow down windows file operations' but not random, I tried to replicate it but was unable to. Have you changed any of the default file system shield settings ?

What OS are you using, plus some info on your system (CPU and RAM) ?

Do you have any other security based software installed (anti-spyware, firewall, etc.) running at boot ?

You could check msconfog and see what startup items there are and be very selective in what you allow to run on boot, basically OS functions and your security applications. Many program set themselves to run on boot (medial players are a typical example), when they aren't required immediately.

There is a possibility that the auto update may be running very early if you have a broadband connection that is available very early in the boot process ?
Thanks for reply, my problems are present on my 3 PC with windows XP PRO, Windows 7 32 and 64 bit;
I have only Anti Malware bytes free on demand and not start at boot;
My boot is very slim because the useless programs not start at boot;
The avast settings are default and I think that the problem is not the auto update service but maybe file system speed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 07:21:35 PM »
It's strange to see it across three different systems and common programs (other than avast) across the three systems.

I have winXP Pro and win7 32bit, but don't see this. The file system shield (FSS), should only show activity when files are accessed and that is why I asked the resources question, but more importantly what is creating the activity that initiates the FSS scan.

You could test the impact of the auto update checks, by temporarily setting them to Manual and rebooting ?
If it does have an impact, e.g. not as slow with it on manual update, then there are some manual avast settings we can apply to still allow for the normal auto update settings (virus definitions - auto and Program - Ask).

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 10:12:18 PM »
I'm still waiting for teh fix for the Base Filtering service which sometimes falls into dead lock state and my laptop takes several minutes to boot (otherwise it takes like 20 seconds because it has SSD). Someone was also mentioning improved sandbox but so far nothing. It has really been very long since last program update...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 12:26:07 AM »
Someone was also mentioning improved sandbox but so far nothing.
Yeah... Where is the program update? ???
The best things in life are free.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 07:57:33 AM »
I'm still waiting for teh fix for the Base Filtering service which sometimes falls into dead lock state and my laptop takes several minutes to boot (otherwise it takes like 20 seconds because it has SSD).

-> http://public.avast.com/~rypacek/patches/#ap20120403001
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 08:36:23 AM »
And why should i hack patch something that should have been fixed 3 months ago officially?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 08:40:54 AM »
And why should i hack patch something that should have been fixed 3 months ago officially?

I never said you should, it's up to you, if you apply the patch. ;)
Anyway, the patch would fix your problem.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 10:42:13 AM »
I know it would, it was me (and one other user) who started the issue report and resolving.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
I know it would, it was me (and one other user) who started the issue report and resolving.

So, did you ever apply the patch..??