Author Topic: With PUP enabled Avast should detect the CNET Installer  (Read 4939 times)

OverHaze

With PUP enabled Avast should detect the CNET Installer
« on: June 03, 2012, 07:31:26 PM »
Some might call this a philosophical issue but really it doesn't matter if its a small company out to make a buck or a big company like CNET out to do the same if an installer contains adware or crapware the antivirus you have installed should detect it and protect you from it. Now I can understand why Avast would not detect the installer on default settings, the only security software I've tried that does are Nod32 and Kaspersky, the stuff the CNET  installer tries to install on your system are not necessarily malicious but they are the very definition of potentially unwanted. When PUP is ticked in the realtime shields or the on demand scans the CNET installer really should be detected.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: With PUP enabled Avast should detect the CNET Installer
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 07:41:35 PM »
No. It should however detect the crap CNET's web installer downloads...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

OverHaze

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 09:02:28 PM »
Its not even doing that, In the test I ran the blekko toolbar was installed without a single prompt and the VMs homepage was changed to blekko.com. I also believe the homepage change is caused by the installer itself rather that the crapware it downloads so that alone would mark it as potentially unwanted in my view.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 10:39:14 PM »
You will find most of us use filehippo,com and softpedia.com for downloads.
You will find everything you need at the two I mentioned.  :)
They don't have the cnet.com installer crapware.  ;D
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

OverHaze

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 03:52:22 PM »
Well of course most of the people in the know don't use download.com anymore. But you have to think about the less savvy people who perhaps had their children install a free antivirus on there system and end up with a useless toolbar, a new homepage and no idea how to fix either problem. It really is the type of thing avast should be protecting people from.

Tetsuo

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 12:37:51 PM »
Well of course most of the people in the know don't use download.com anymore. But you have to think about the less savvy people who perhaps had their children install a free antivirus on there system and end up with a useless toolbar, a new homepage and no idea how to fix either problem. It really is the type of thing avast should be protecting people from.

+1

Hellion

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 01:17:24 PM »

+1

I would just like to add my +1 here.

I think avast should block toolbars, especially the malicious kind like babylon and also protect against changing of the homepage.

OverHaze

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 12:54:35 AM »
Interesting piece of behaviour I just saw while trying out Comodo Internet Security in a VM. With Comodo installed the cnet installer either skips stage 2, the stage where it tries to install crapware, or at stage 2 offers an OPT IN install of Hotspot shield. Apparently the installer is detecting the Comodo install and altering its behaviour to be less malicious.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 04:13:44 AM »
The toolbars which you are referring to are either opt "in" or opt "out". Since it's up to the person installing the software I fail to see how or why avast should protect someone from their own lack of observation. During installation of avast the user has such an option for Chrome. If someone allows their children to install software they might want to re-think administrator rights on their machines.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 02:22:21 PM »
If someone allows their children to install software they might want to re-think administrator rights on their machines.  :)
+1
The best things in life are free.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 02:28:24 PM »
If someone allows their children to install software they might want to re-think administrator rights on their machines.  :)
+1

+2
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip