Author Topic: Turning off avast to defrag  (Read 29592 times)

safetynut

Turning off avast to defrag
« on: June 04, 2012, 03:47:41 AM »
How do I "turn off" avast free antivirus to run a defragment?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Turning off avast to defrag
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 03:57:26 AM »
Why?
The defragmentation occurs at low level and avast! does not interfere (or scan the files because of it).
The best things in life are free.

AdrianH

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 12:00:18 PM »
 :o    ???   As Tech says WHY? 

You have never needed to turn off any antivirus system to defrag, where did this idea come from ?

safetynut

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 04:10:19 PM »
The Windows XP manual that I have says to exit all programs, disable your antivirus software, and empty the Recyle Bin before you run Disk Defragmentation. Windows XP includes Microsoft Security Essentials, which I assume must be disabled. And I have the free avast antivirus software, which is why I'm asking how to temporarily disable it.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 04:14:11 PM »
And I have the free avast antivirus software, which is why I'm asking how to temporarily disable it.

You can safely ignore your manual...!!! :)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 04:44:31 PM »
The Windows XP manual that I have says to exit all programs, disable your antivirus software, and empty the Recyle Bin before you run Disk Defragmentation. Windows XP includes Microsoft Security Essentials, which I assume must be disabled. And I have the free avast antivirus software, which is why I'm asking how to temporarily disable it.

I have never disabled my antivirus to run a defrag in all of the years that I have had XP and it has never been an issue. Whilst it would be beneficial to clear the Recycle Bin (if you don't do so regularly), you would also benefit from clearing your temp files.

XP doesn't include Microsoft Security Essentials, that is something that you have to install. On that subject you shouldn't have two resident AVs installed on the same system at the same time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

safetynut

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 08:09:25 PM »
Okay, so I guess the Windows XP manual instructions are overly zealous as to disabling antivirus software when defragging.

The Microsoft Security Essentials was on the pc when I got it via a company give away of this used pc.  I had avast put on it since I trust avast as being superior, but the Microsoft Security Essentials has a firewall, which the free avast does not (correct?). So that is why I am fearful of not having it.

What does it do to the pc to have two antivirus programs?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 08:14:20 PM »
1. Okay, so I guess the Windows XP manual instructions are overly zealous as to disabling antivirus software when defragging.

2. ...but the Microsoft Security Essentials has a firewall...

3. What does it do to the pc to have two antivirus programs?

1. Right.
2. No, but Windows has one.
3. All kind of problems, like lagging, FPs, BSODs, etc...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 09:07:17 PM »
Resident anti-virus applications intercept files before they are run/created/modified, etc. to be able to do this (hooking files) they have to load low level drivers and it is these which can conflict. At best it causes duplication of scanning and resource use, at worst it can lock the system (possibly leaving it without the protection of either AV).

Should this lockup occur at boot time it may lock you out of your system. This would require booting into safe mode to uninstall on of the two AVs. So it is best not to have two resident AVs installed in the first place.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

safetynut

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 10:44:19 PM »
Could you please explain each of these: lagging, FPs, BSODs, etc...  ?

So the firewall I see is via the Windows XP operating system and not Microsoft Security Essentials?

So I should delete (how) the Microsoft Security Essentials and leave the avast antivirus program????

I do notice that the CPU frequently revs up for long periods at a time, slowing things down. And about a week or so ago, when I restarted I got the message: Windows did not start successfully, and saying to choose the Last known good configuration or to Start Windows normally, etc. Choosing either did not help. I had to restart twice before the system came up okay. Is this linked to the two antivirus programs, do you think?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 02:47:33 AM »
Could you please explain each of these: lagging, FPs, BSODs, etc...  ?
Well FP is false positives, because one antivirus could detect the other signatures and temporary files.
BSODs are blue screen of death which is a huge conflict between programs or drivers.

So the firewall I see is via the Windows XP operating system and not Microsoft Security Essentials?
MSE does not have a firewall.

So I should delete (how) the Microsoft Security Essentials and leave the avast antivirus program????
Yes. When you uninstall it, Windows will restore Windows Defender (which can be used side by side with avast).
The best things in life are free.

safetynut

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 03:25:00 AM »
Thank you. Might you also respond to this question as well:

I do notice that the CPU frequently revs up for long periods at a time, slowing things down. And about a week or so ago, when I restarted I got the message: Windows did not start successfully, and saying to choose the Last known good configuration or to Start Windows normally, etc. Choosing either did not help. I had to restart twice before the system came up okay. Is this linked to the two antivirus programs, do you think?

safetynut

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 03:33:11 AM »
Also I forgot to ask:

Could I copy/DL  the Microsoft Securities Essentials program to a CD or Flashdrive to keep it just in case, before I uninstall it?

OR, could I just turn off the Real-time protection for MSE and then just use it to scan manually once a week (as an extra layer of protection)??? And if so, Real-time scanning wouldn't need to be turned back on for a manual scan would it??

Actually, a little while ago, I turned off MSE Real-time---then I panicked and tried to turn it back on. It hung/froze. I finally had to do a hard turn off (don't know if that's the right terminology). When I restarted, the protection was back on, . . .

Advice/opinion???

Dch48

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 06:18:30 AM »
You don't need to keep the MSE program since it is easily downloaded from Microsoft at any time. I'm not sure if turning off the real time protection is sufficient to prevent conflicts. I would play it safe and completely uninstall MSE.

The firewall you see is part of Windows XP. It's called the Windows Firewall and is completely seperate from any AV program, even MSE.

I also have never turned off my AV to defrag. Well, I take that back, I did once to see if it would go any faster and it didn't seem to so I leave it on. I also leave it on while gaming and it never causes any problem.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 07:07:24 AM »

Most likely.