Author Topic: Turning off avast to defrag  (Read 29589 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Turning off avast to defrag
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 07:12:05 AM »
OR, could I just turn off the Real-time protection for MSE and then just use it to scan manually once a week (as an extra layer of protection)???

No, you have to completely uninstall MSE.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

safetynut

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 05:08:11 PM »
You guys are giving me wonderful help and information. I keep thinking of additional details to ask about. Hope that's ok.

1. Would it make any difference that I have Windows XP Pro as opposed to the home version--as far as disabling MSE or any other AV when I defrag? (Sorry--not trying to beat the dead horse, just trying to cover all the bases.)

2. To uninstall MSE: do I just go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall it there? Because I saw information on the windows.microsoft. com site with instructions to uninstall this way (though it was really talking about uninstalling other AVs so as to download MSE):

It instructed to Start / Run / type "appwiz.cpl" / Enter.
Then in the list of installed programs, uninstall any other Internet security programs.
Then restart the pc.

It then cautioned that some security apps don't uninstall completely. That you may need to DL and run a cleanup utility to completely remove them.

Do you think that would be necessary, either way of doing the uninstall???? I don't want to have to get into stuff like that--don't have the time or expertise, etc.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 05:17:16 PM »
You guys are giving me wonderful help and information. I keep thinking of additional details to ask about. Hope that's ok.

1. Would it make any difference that I have Windows XP Pro as opposed to the home version--as far as disabling MSE or any other AV when I defrag? (Sorry--not trying to beat the dead horse, just trying to cover all the bases.)

2. To uninstall MSE: do I just go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall it there? Because I saw information on the windows.microsoft. com site with instructions to uninstall this way (though it was really talking about uninstalling other AVs so as to download MSE):

It instructed to Start / Run / type "appwiz.cpl" / Enter.
Then in the list of installed programs, uninstall any other Internet security programs.
Then restart the pc.

It then cautioned that some security apps don't uninstall completely. That you may need to DL and run a cleanup utility to completely remove them.

Do you think that would be necessary, either way of doing the uninstall???? I don't want to have to get into stuff like that--don't have the time or expertise, etc.
Doesn't matter what operating system you have, you shouldn't have two AV's on the same system and defraging is not affected by different operating systems.

Yes uninstall MSE via add remove programs then run the MSE removal tool http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9748340 to clean up leftovers
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:34:29 PM by craigb »

safetynut

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 06:07:56 PM »
1. Someone mentioned Windows Defender--that it would replace MSE after that was uninstalled, but that WD would run alongside avast without any problem.

Do you recommend installing that?

2. Or is avast good to cover all AV issues? I also have Malware Bytes and Spybot installed, in addition to avast free antivirus.

3. Is it necessary to turn off the ScreenSaver to defrag?

DarkMasters

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 06:19:01 PM »
1. Windows Defender isn't needed if you already have antivirus and antispyware like Avast.
2. Avast Free is good already. If you need another 'safety net', Malwarebytes is a good choice for you.
Sometimes too much security software just give you more unnecessary trouble rather than securing you.
3. It's not necessary to do so.

Dch48

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 08:11:05 PM »
Windows Defender doesn't do anything that Avast doesn't do and what they both do, Avast does better. You can't uninstall Windows Defender but you can turn it off.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 10:34:24 PM »
Slightly O/T, but you might want to think about a 3rd-party defragger.  I like Puran (freeware) mainly because it includes the option for a boot-time defrag, before anything to speak of has loaded.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

YoKenny

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 11:16:40 PM »
1. Windows Defender isn't needed if you already have antivirus and antispyware like Avast.
2. Avast Free is good already. If you need another 'safety net', Malwarebytes is a good choice for you.
Sometimes too much security software just give you more unnecessary trouble rather than securing you.
3. It's not necessary to do so.
I would not trust advice of anyone running Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) 

safetynut

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 01:11:28 AM »
Thanks so much to everyone.

But now I'm getting very nervous about uninstalling MSE. I am not that knowledgeable about pcs, and can't get in too deep with procedures. I googled "uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials" to see if there was any info about problems doing it.

Sure enough, there were problems. The advice given by Microsoft forum people was way over my head. I am not able to deal iwth involved/complex pc issues, and I can't afford to lose the use of my pc.

So far I've been told to uninstall using the Add/Remove Programs and then run the MSE removal tool to clean up leftovers. (http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9748340)

I have not tried to uninstall MSE yet for I must be sure it will not cause problems with the OS or avast, etc. I did click on the above link just to see if it was similar to what I've seen as advice on the Microsoft site. But it wanted to be run right then, so I got out of it.

Also, did anyone see the explanation of what happened when I just tried to turn off the MSE Real-time protection? Shortly after doing that, I panicked and tried to turn it back on. It hung up and wouldn't end with a Contro/Alt/Delete. I had to do a hard close (if that's what it's called). When I restarted the pc, MSE's Real-time was back on and things were back to normal.

I really do need to get rid of MSE because I know it is taxing the system. But I'm scared to make a big mess.

Have any of you actually uninstalled MSE yourselves? And with avast, Malware Bytes, and Spybot on your system at the same time? Does the Add/Remove Programs usually work? How will you know it's worked correctly? Should you immediately run the link I was given after doing this?

Does Microsoft have numerous cleanup/removal tool links????

I know I've asked a lot of questions. But please, if you can, answer each one.

Thank you. Thank you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 11:10:31 AM »
You can't uninstall Windows Defender but you can turn it off.

You can uninstall it on XP.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 11:16:15 AM »
Using the windows built in uninstaller method is easy and not problematic in my experience, download the MSE uninstaller tool i supplied and save then go to Add Remove programs click and highlight MSE then click uninstall, once completed reboot your system and run the uninstall tool - after this step is always a good time to run CCleaner to tidy.

DarkMasters

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 01:06:51 PM »

You don't have to worry about that since I'm giving the advice to the OP, not you. It's a sincere advice to her. Either she can take it or leave it, that's for her to decide not you.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 02:49:29 PM »

You don't have to worry about that since I'm giving the advice to the OP, not you. It's a sincere advice to her. Either she can take it or leave it, that's for her to decide not you.

I personally don't see why you're in here giving advice on the avast forum if you're not even using the product ???
Certainly smells like trolling to me.  :o 
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

HDW38

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 09:52:42 PM »

I personally don't see why you're in here giving advice on the avast forum if you're not even using the product ???
Certainly smells like trolling to me.  :o

+1  ;D

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.