Author Topic: Virus on my Macbook Air?  (Read 9477 times)

ragtag

Virus on my Macbook Air?
« on: June 05, 2012, 11:31:25 PM »
I have a MacBook Air which I think is infected. Just about every time I go to facebook after a few minutes (or seconds sometimes) I get abruptly redirected to another website. Lately that other site is crackle.com. In the past it has been to something called rugged.com or therugged.com. I have clamx installed but it finds nothing. I tried the Mac version of Avast, which I understand is in beta. A full scan gives me some warnings, but what do I do about those warnings? The program's preferences offer no options to isolate them. Some of the warnings refer to a "decompression bomb" which I researched and those may or may not actually be problems.

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Virus on my Macbook Air?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 11:53:49 AM »
Hi,

Warnings aren't malware. You'd see an infection clearly stated in a scan report. If there's an infection you can simply delete infected files using the Finder.

Current avast! for Mac isn't a beta. What program version and definitions version is stated on the status page in UI of your installed avast?

Jan

ragtag

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 01:56:53 AM »
Avast Version 7.0 (37028). Definitions version 12060602. I have run a full scan again and still no infections. I am still getting redirects on Facebook.

I am using Firefox (Mac) 13.0. I have also visited Facebook using Safari, and this time did not get redirected, although I think that in previous sessions using Safari as a test I was redirected. I will use Safari exclusively for Facebook until I feel I have determined whether or not this issue is limited to Firefox.

Ayame19

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 11:28:33 AM »
I just did a full system scan as well and when I checked to show infections and warnings, a bunch came up from the mail accounts I have synced with apple mail. Should I be worried? One of the email accounts is a school account and I doubt they send viruses through them so I'm not sure if I should still worry or not.

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 10:36:42 AM »
It's hard to say anything about it without details. In general, emails contain malware especially in spam (phishing) messages. If you won't open infected emails there's nothing to be worried about.

If you think those detections are false positives, we'd need to know precise detection names to judge and even particular email messages.