Author Topic: Remove "avast! Security Upgrade Available" popup ad, or forced to uninstall?  (Read 19916 times)

exitexit

Is there a way to get rid of the "avast! Security Upgrade Available" ad popup?

I've looked in the settings, googled, looked in the settings again to no avail. Either it goes, or avast goes. AFAIK Windows Live Essentials doesn't spam you with ads, whilst providing a perfectly good free alternative. Not happy to be spammed.

One of the reasons i chosed avast! AV in the first place was because it did not try to scare people into buying/using things. It had a sound risk-awareness and provided a good protection according to trustworthy reviews/tests. Now I'm not only met with an ad for their product almost every time I login, I am presented with a dishonest lie that if I shop or bank online and spend time on social networks - obviously things that almost everyone does - I should get the 349 kr (swedish krona, our currency) internet security upgrade. It is a lie, because the risk minimal - millions of ppl shops or use bank/social networks every day, very few of those get their accounts stolen. You are way more likley to lose the 349 kr to avast! then to a hacker (and the bank gives your stolen money back, avast does not). Avast! is ofcourse aware of this but still choses to be dishonest in their ad. This is nothing but taking advantage of people who feel unsecure and doesn't know much about the internet/computers.

I know that there are security freaks out there that buy everything corporations tell them to as long as it contains the words "security" or "safe" and then followed by a graph on how much unsafer things have become in their respective market area (internet, homes, cars etc.), and that is every alarm salesmans dream customer. But I went on for years without even having an anti-virus program and I was perfectly fine. No viruses or worms, no stolen accounts, no nothing. This is while shoping online, using internet based banking and downloading "illegally" every day (from both trusted sites like "the Pirate Bay", and more fishy and obscure). That is why I consider the claim a lie - no you should not buy avast! Internet Security upgrade if you shop/bank online or use social networks, because you are more likely to keep your money if you don't then if you do.

Other then that, I'm happy with avast. It's fast, doesn't do more then you ask it to do (except present you with adds ofcourse), and it's very up to date. You (avast!) are doing a really great job with it.

So is there a way to turn the ad off?

Best regards.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
this should turn off the pop-up ads

please follow the screenshot.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
What avast version do you have, free/pro/ais latest version 7.0.1426 ?

Given this is an "avast! Security Upgrade Available" can you attach a screenshot of it (I haven't seen this yet) ?
Do either of you happen to be close to re-registration of the free version ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
@DavidR: i cannot post cannot provide you with the pop-up now as it is not showing at the moment, but i assure you that i also received it recently. about 2 times, 1st time yesterday, 2nd time today.

nope, i am not close to re-registration of the free version. my is left with 308 days.

it is similar in design to the facebook mac promotion pop-up recently mentioned.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 05:20:39 PM by AntiVirusASeT »

true indian

here is the one i got today...yet again  :P

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Thanks, I haven't seen that yet, I don't know if it is just released in some regions first or not, but I wouldn't think it would be a constant daily thing for many days.

I know for one thing, it takes only a second to X it out. If and when I see it that is what will happen, I don't find that too much hassle or too onerous.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

true indian

Thanks, I haven't seen that yet, I don't know if it is just released in some regions first or not, but I wouldn't think it would be a constant daily thing for many days.

Well,i guess i am seeing this for the 3rd time this week or so  :-\

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<

Well,i guess i am seeing this for the 3rd time this week or so  :-\

As Dave, I haven't seen this...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
update: have not received the same pop-up for today and yesterday  :)

Jack 1000

here is the one i got today...yet again  :P

I got that pop-up a day or so ago, just ignored it and it has not come back.

Jack

Tgell

Never seen this pop-up.

Hellion

Hi All,

I see this popup from time to time and I have to agree with the OP, it is very annoying.

As a Systems Admin I install and recommend avast to a lot of people, now I frequently get asked why they get popup adds and why they suddenly have to pay when it expires (Because they cant find a way to register for the free version)

Regards,
Hellion
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:58:40 AM by Hellion »

guestja

I got this message Also. If you right click on the avast ball and select "show last pop up message" there is a box on the bottom of the message where you can select "do not show this message again". I did that, and it seems to have worked for me.

bobo1

Popped up on my version of avast. Annoying 3 times this week!
Stopped it by changing settings as in previous posts
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:41:44 PM by bobo1 »