Author Topic: Avast kills netbios  (Read 1672 times)

awieder

Avast kills netbios
« on: June 08, 2012, 03:44:32 AM »
Hi all,

I'm having the strangest problem with avast on a network that has a w2k server with a domain and xp workstations.

After installing avast in a workstation it's no longer able to find the server using netbios (and it can't find the domain controller, log into the domain, etc.).

I'm able to map drives using the server's IP address (i.e. net use x: \\192.168.0.120\d-share, etc.), but if I try to do the same with netbios it doesn't work (i.e. net use x: \\server1\d-share).

Avast version 7.0.1407. All shields running.

If this helps, at some point today, while I ran tests in a cmd window, I was asked for a username and password after a net use command and when I re-entered the uid xp complained that that uid had already failed and then allowed me to access that share after I entered another user's credentials.

As soon as I remove avast, things work normally again.

I would really like to use avast because it's light and nimble (unlike some other well-known resource hogs out there), but if I can't resolve this I'm going to have to look for alternatives, so any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!

Alex