Author Topic: Having issues with Avast Internet Security not scanning emails  (Read 3990 times)

wilddolphin153

Hi, I have the latest version of Avast Internet Security just recently installed on a new computer.  I use Hotmail, Windows Live and gmail.  I had no issues with this program on my old computer.  Avast does not appear to be scanning emails, and seems to be interfering with Windows Live Messenger.  I would appreciate any help I can get on this.  Thanks!

(Lenovo Ideapad, Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1, Intel Core i5-2450M, 2.50 GHz, 8 GB ram, 64 bit OS)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Having issues with Avast Internet Security not scanning emails
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 12:54:29 AM »
how do you access/read your mail?

wilddolphin153

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 01:15:13 AM »
Hi Pondus, I generally access my email through Windows Live/Hotmail

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 01:28:34 AM »
so you use a mail client...okay.......as webmail can not be scanned

hotmails default setting uses the delta sync protocl (google it) and as far as i understand no AV can scan it
it is possible to sett it up as pop

for avast to scan it must be a pop3 or imap account

gmail is a pop3 / imap and is using SSL

how to scan SSL accounts......you should find a video tutorial somwhere in there also
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=842

info....
microsoft protect all mail accounts with trend micro AV and Google use postini spam/virus filter using twin av engine from authentium and mcafee......so all mails are scanned before you recive it

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 01:33:46 AM by Pondus »

wilddolphin153

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 02:59:08 AM »
Thanks Pondus for the links and info.  I did come upon this when I was researching the answer before I wrote, but it seemed confusing [to my brain anyway  :-* ]

I will work on changing the SSL for the google account.  However, am I understanding that it doesn't really matter if Avast scans the email, since they  have been scanned before I get them by Windows Live/Hotmail?

Your assistance has been very appreciated, and your tolerance is also appreciated.
Thanks, Lynn

iroc9555

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 03:05:41 AM »
I will work on changing the SSL for the google account.  However, am I understanding that it doesn't really matter if Avast scans the email, since they  have been scanned before I get them by Windows Live/Hotmail?

Hi Lynn.

You do not have to change anything in Avast! mail because as Pondus said above you are using web mail and avast! can not scan web mail. You need a third mail program like Outlook or Thunderbird for Avast! mail to scan the mail you get through those programs.

wilddolphin153

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 03:15:33 AM »
Love the quote:
“We are all ignorant, but we don't all ignore the same things..” Albert Einstein

Even though, I've been on a computer for decades, and the internet from almost the beginning ... I guess what I ignore is "computer-speak," so I suffer when I have a perceived problem. 

Thanks for the help ... I'll go onto worry about something else.  ;)

I'm impressed with the quick response time I got on the forum!
Lynn

iroc9555

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 03:21:26 AM »
No problems. Always welcome.

I'm impressed with the quick response time I got on the forum!

Thanks. Everyone pitchs in as best as he can.