Author Topic: Is this legal?  (Read 8080 times)

jason

Is this legal?
« on: August 27, 2003, 05:00:37 PM »
I work at a School, and am wondering, since we are a non profit org. is it ok to use free avast on multiple clients on our campus?

Thank for any info.

we have been using avg anti virus, but when i read their user agreement, it say it cant be used in a netoworked environment., but In the avast agreement it says nothing like that.

Just curious on the legal stuff...

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:Is this legal?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 05:03:20 PM »
Take a look here
« Last Edit: August 27, 2003, 05:03:38 PM by raman »
MfG Ralf

jason

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 05:16:48 PM »
Thanks. I guess we all need to get paid. what is a non comercial (non Profit) orginization then.

not being pushy :'(

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 05:31:59 PM »
If i understand it correctly the term is "home AND  non-commercial use". So "organization" disallow  you from the use of the Homeversion at all!? But maybe Pavel can make it clear.
MfG Ralf

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 05:39:57 PM »
Raman is right (as usual  :D):

In our licensing scheme there are two conditions which qualify the user for free non-limited usage of our avast! 4 Home:

First, it must be the home usage - so any organisations (non-profit or commercial) are disqualified.

The second condition says that there should not be any commercial activity done on the computer which is to be protected by avast! - i.e. if you use it to make some profit, you also do not qualify for avast! Home usage, even on the home computer.

So both conditions should be met for free program!

Pavel

jason

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 09:18:39 PM »
Thank you. Guess i gotta get f-Prot, or avast. Going to some money reasearch ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 05:06:41 AM »
Thank you. Guess i gotta get f-Prot, or avast. Going to some money reasearch ::)

Do not hesitate: avast is better and cheaper...  8)
The best things in life are free.

Culpeper

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2003, 07:24:08 AM »
In the USA there are several nonprofit entities recognized under IRC 501(C).  Under that, the only true nonprofit are the 501(C)(3) organizations.  Those are such things as churches, certain hospitals, Red Cross, and all way down to very small organizations like a local public food kitchen for the needy.  So, even though they are "nonprofit" that doesn't mean that don't have a means to pay for something they should be.  Mostly, nonprofits benefit from being exempt from certain tax programs like corporate income tax and certain sales taxes.  In the USA, nonprofit organizations are corporations that have been granted nonprofit status by the Internal Revenue Service.  They are exempt from certain taxes as long as their income is within their related business income.  Unrelated business income is subject to corporate income tax.

So, in a nutshell, nonprofits are just corporations with certain tax benefits.

emil

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2003, 12:51:11 PM »
Greetings to the Administrator........

I have been using Avast home for several months now and am happy with it ! !  Its being free is fantastic :D.

The only drawback is the price for the Pro version which is $40.  Please don't get me wrong, it is cheap by american or european standards, but here in our developing country where most earn less than $100 a month for 22-23 days of work, it becomes unaffordable.

So why worry when it is being offerred free?  

Well, many people really appreciate a good product and would like to contribute something rather than continue being a "free loader".  Some companies offering freeware have options for donations. Others have special offers for academics, students and non-profit organizations....of third world countries.

Avast Home has worked so well that it is worth giving a donation even if it is FREE ! !

Emil

« Last Edit: August 31, 2003, 12:53:05 PM by emil »