Author Topic: Free Home Edition  (Read 7220 times)

Thistle

Free Home Edition
« on: December 29, 2004, 02:01:33 PM »
I have just downloaded the free home edition. I have Windows XP and am on a cable connection to the internet. My problem is e mail settings, UI use Internet Explorer for mail. The instructions say to go to the Mail Protection Wizard..I cannot find that anywhere and my mail is not marked as being scanned or protected...help please!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Free Home Edition
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 02:10:35 PM »
The instructions say to go to the Mail Protection Wizard

It also says :

If you use avast! 4.5 or newer and your operating system is Windows NT, 2000, XP or 2003, you don't have to do any special settings, even for other email clients. avast! 4.5 features a new method of email protection that is very easy for the user - it works completely automatically.

Besides IE is not a mail client. What are you using to check the mail?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 02:15:29 PM by Eddy »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 02:13:27 PM »
You use Internet Explorer (web based mail) or Outlook Express for mail?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Thistle

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 02:41:38 PM »
Sorry...I meant to say Outlook Express

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 03:06:28 PM »
Thistle, with Windows 2k\XP, avast 4.5 has a new mail detection that will work automatically. Please, set up your email account just as avast does not exists. It will detect the pop3/smpt/imap ports and scan your messages. Can you make a try and see if it's ok? Thanks.

New email detection is automatic and do not require user interaction. Anyway, spam killer applications need manually change email account settings  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Thistle

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 03:27:49 PM »
I haven't changed my e mail settings....was trying to follow instructions with the Mail Wizard(which I couldn't find) My e mails are not marked as having been scanned and virus free...is this the way it will be? My Old program marked each mail as being virus free.

Thistle

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 03:31:02 PM »
I have just checked an email properties...and see that in the codes that it is virus free...I guess it just doesn't print it on the normal view of the mail. Thank you for your help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 04:47:15 PM »
It does, you just have to ensure that you have the option selected.

Ensure that you have the same setting for the POP tag in the image if you want it in incoming emails. Though my personal feelings are that you don't really need it, since if your incoming (POP) email is infected avast's warning will scare you half to death.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2004, 06:58:48 PM »
Thistle, to see if avast! is scanning emails, check one of these points:

1) Is the avast icon (the special one of email scanning) be shown in the system tray?

2) Is your email header with the lines X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0XXX-X, XX/XX/2004), Inbound message and X-Antivirus-Status: Clean? (Right click the message, choose Properties and Details)

3) Are clean notes added at the bottom of the email? (Internet Mail provider settings)
The best things in life are free.

Thistle

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 03:53:33 AM »
Thank you...yes I found where to add the message to e mails...and checking the properties they are marked as checked..clean..

I have another question though. Can I schedule regular scans of my computer with the free version or do I have to  do them manually.

watchthisspace

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2005, 04:08:37 AM »
The free version doen't have  scheduler for auto scans, but the pro does.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2005, 04:33:23 AM »
Yes you can schedule a scan, not as easy with as with the Pro version though. But it is possible.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=3796

Thistle

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2005, 04:39:12 AM »
Thank you very much...I will give that a try.