Author Topic: Avast slowing down boot  (Read 14553 times)

flieg

Re: Avast slowing down boot
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 12:59:49 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts, DavidR.

I don't have MS Office.  I did have indexing on (against my wishes) but I've turned it off now. Unfortunately it made no difference.

I'm going to Check Open Office settings and see if they have a Fast Find "feature" that I can turn off.  ((Nope, not as far as I can tell.))

Another computer mystery ... unsolved.  I  think the nascent AI's are playing with us.   ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 01:17:03 AM »
Yep, I hate mysteries too.

What I can't understand is the hard disk activity when there are so few files scanned.

Something I would like you to try is to set Updates to Manual (avastUI, Settings, Updates), it is possible that if you have a broadband connection available early in the boot, avast could be checking for updates. Generally this would make itself noticed in the boot being a little slower, but I don't know if hard disk activity would be great.

You will get a nag in the form of an ! exclamation mark over the avast tray icon this can be temporarily disabled, avastUI, Settings, Status Bar, unchecking the bottom three options relating to updates, see image, click to expand.

These can be reversed if it doesn't resolve it; if it does resolve it there is something that can be done to delay the update check, allowing you to set those settings back as they were.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

flieg

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 01:51:08 AM »
I hate mysteries especially in situations that should (!) be deterministic.

I do have a good solid DSL connection that is on all the time, but I did as you suggested to set update to manual and it made no difference in the boot behavior. (Other than the fact that the first time I tried to do it it didn't take!)

When Avast does check for updates it does put a bit of a load on the system, but not too bad a one.

This is a picture of the Task Manager after opening firefox to write this message. It shows which processes have done the most disk access, I think.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:36:30 AM by flieg »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 11:27:12 AM »
The problems with the task manager is that these are cumulative figures and since the FSS is going to be scanning active files it is going to rack up figures. As I said truing to pin down what is responsible for the activity is not easy and the basic tool set in the task manager isn't detailed enough.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

marziano_mork

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 02:48:37 PM »
I solved this problem disabling Reputation services and Streaming updates, waiting for new avast program update that solves it definitively .

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 03:54:16 PM »
Thanks for the update.

Though I'm surprised the streaming updates have that effect as they are pretty small, todays batch so far (and not all at once) range between 1 & 28KB, the majority being 1-2KB.