Author Topic: A conflict between Avast Web Shield and windows firewall (I can't block programs  (Read 10483 times)

Woozie

I'm trying to block programs through windows firewall. I go to advanced settings and set the inbound and outbound rules. However, if Avast Web Shield is on, the programs are still able to access the internet despite my firewall settings. If I turn Avast Web Shield off, the firewall rules work just fine (i.e. the programs are no longer able to access the internet).

I don't want to have to browse the internet without avast web shields. Is there any way to make it so that my firewall rules still apply even with avast web shields on?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
what OS are you running and service pack?
what program is it you want to block?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I guess it is win7 firewall ?
As there is a problem with it not being able to identify applications using the web shield proxy:
- see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93953.msg768135#msg768135.

There is a temp fix, which will create rules for the win7 firewall, but I can't find it just now. I will check and see if I can find it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Woozie

Sorry, I should have included that in my original post.

Windows 7 (64 bit), service pack 1.

To block programs from the internet, I go to control panel -> firewall -> advanced settings, and from there, I manually select the programs I wish to block under both inbound and outbound. This works just fine to block the programs from accessing the internet if and only if avast web shields are not on.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
As I said it is win7 firewall that can't differentiate between the web shield proxy and any program that would be using it. That is explained in the link in my first post.

I found the other references:
- Lukor has created a tool to add rules to the windows7 firewall to try and get round this, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=99502.msg793862#msg793862.
- If you wish to use the tool (fix) get it here, http://public.avast.com/~rypacek/avast/webshieldfilter.exe.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jim1cor13

Thanks Woozie

I also found this problem effects Private firewall, as long as web shield is
active, leaktest from grc.com 'penetrates' Private firewall, when I turn off
webshield, leaktest is properly blocked from making the connection to grc.com
web site via port 80. It may be only port 80 is affected, I have not checked this though.

Not sure if it effects other firewalls, but I do know Private firewall as good as it is,
in my opinion and not bloatware as some firewalls can be, is affected by web shield also.

Just wanted to mention this according to my own findings, and also i was aware web shield
effected windows firewall previously to trying Private firewall. In your case, possibly Lukors
work around may assist you. :)

All my best!
Jim
---

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
It also effects the Comodo firewall.