Author Topic: Quite annoyed...  (Read 6219 times)

Ilja

Quite annoyed...
« on: June 15, 2012, 06:20:35 AM »
Hello, first I'm new here, second, I'm Dutch:

I want to say to the Developer Team of Avast (Free) I'm quite annoyed by the "nagging" screens You put up. I knowI've an free AV from You!. I know when I registered it...

Therefore: There is no need to notify (nag) me 2 weeks in advance to renew my subscription. Every update!..

However I would be very glad if You do notify me 3 days before my registration is forfit. Ok, You might give me a notice once 20 days before that date! In case I never use my computer or so...
;)

Really sincerely: Ilja. _\\//

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Quite annoyed...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 07:29:51 AM »
So if you re-register your avast the problem of nagging will be solved ;)

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 08:44:27 AM »
Two weeks before would be nagging for me, & for paying it before it is due, is like paying your utility bills before they are due, all that interest lost.
If my utility company kept poping up telling me the bill will soon be due two weeks before, I would shoot myself.

AdrianH

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 09:01:07 AM »
Two weeks before would be nagging for me, & for paying it before it is due, is like paying your utility bills before they are due, all that interest lost.
If my utility company kept poping up telling me the bill will soon be due two weeks before, I would shoot myself.

How on earth do you PAY for a free application?

Hellion

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 10:57:49 AM »

He is comparing it to his utility bills, The pro and AIS versions you get nagged too and those are paid for.

I have to agree with the OP here, the nagging causes basic computer users to panic and the design of the notifications and registration process makes it difficult to see the free option...

Not to mention the periodic pop-ups selling the security suite!

Regards,
Hellion
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:06:54 AM by Hellion »

AdrianH

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 11:27:45 AM »

He is comparing it to his utility bills, The pro and AIS versions you get nagged too and those are paid for.

I have to agree with the OP here, the nagging causes basic computer users to panic and the design of the notifications and registration process makes it difficult to see the free option...

Regards,
Hellion

Being reminded that your AV is about to expire and will no longer protect you is hardly "being nagged", all the other vendors do it and lets face it if there was no reminder and a user has their machine infected as a result there would be screams of "you failed to protect me". .... " you should have reminded me".

When you get the reminder for the free version simply deal with it there and then.  Same with the Pro/AIS versions, you don't lose anything by renewing a few days early. It really amazes me the number of people that demand free services with all the updates and features that then have the nerve to complain over a few popups. Avast have many products available, only a small proportion of the userbase come to the forum so why not tell users that there are other products they may benefit from.

Hellion

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 05:20:29 PM »

Regards,
Hellion

Being reminded that your AV is about to expire and will no longer protect you is hardly "being nagged", all the other vendors do it and lets face it if there was no reminder and a user has their machine infected as a result there would be screams of "you failed to protect me". .... " you should have reminded me".

When you get the reminder for the free version simply deal with it there and then.  Same with the Pro/AIS versions, you don't lose anything by renewing a few days early. It really amazes me the number of people that demand free services with all the updates and features that then have the nerve to complain over a few popups. Avast have many products available, only a small proportion of the userbase come to the forum so why not tell users that there are other products they may benefit from.

Hi AdrianH,

The reminder to renew could be more timely and less frequent.

Everyone has a right to complain, it's what drives positive change.
I switched from Avira (Which has superior detection rates to Avast, but not much more) because of their aggressive advertising.

The forums is not where you showcase your products, that is done on the actual website.

you're talking about Avast free, just renew idiot

Dear SHARKY7SHARKY,

With an attitude like that you should not respond to threads in this forum.

Regards,
Hellion
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:23:21 PM by Hellion »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 06:28:43 PM »
The easiest way to not get the reminders is to re-register and be done with it.
It isn't that difficult. Keep it simple. IMHO you are making a mountain out of a molehill. 
A reminder is better than a past due.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 06:47:35 PM »
actually there is a reason to alert u to renew a few weeks before the license expires (including in paid versions).

imagine if a user decides to go travelling, say more than 1 week. if avast only alerts the user a few days before expiry, the user who went travelling for more than that few days would miss the warning and only receive the warning that his system is already unprotected on the expiry day itself or after it.

what if the user decides to visit some website before renewing his license, and that website happens to be infected? the user is now infected.

therefore, it is better to renew while full protection is still on (a few weeks of the old license). thus the need to alert a few weeks before expiry.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 06:58:55 PM »
@ Hellion  Sharky never showed any attitude as you "quoted" him. Please check his post.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=99687.msg795347#msg795347  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

flieg

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 10:08:41 PM »
I have the paid version, and last winter was "nagged" to renew.  What I found to be very nice was that it didn't matter when I renewed, the extension was for a full year beyond the expiration of my current license.  I lost nothing.  I believe that the same is true of the license for the free version.  That is, in my opinion, the right and proper way to run things.

As for "all that interest" that SHARKY7 mentions ... I want to know what bank he or she is with that is paying significant interest on hisser deposits.  It certainly isn't any bank in the USA.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 11:10:09 PM »
@ Hellion  Sharky never showed any attitude as you "quoted" him. Please check his post.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=99687.msg795416#msg795416

it looks like the post Hellion quoted is different from the one you provide. The post was removed as well.
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 12:15:58 AM »

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=99687.msg795416#msg795416

it looks like the post Hellion quoted is different from the one you provide. The post was removed as well.
Got it via PM.  :)

norel

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 06:21:07 AM »
The last time I renewed was with version 6 free. It renewed for one year from the time of renewal, not from the actual time of expiration. With free, no big deal, but if I had a commercial version that wouldn't fly. But it may not be an issue now with 7, I don't know. The early and continual notices to renew always have seemed a little excessive to me, but with the free version I just renew and forget about it.

AdrianH

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 06:32:59 AM »
The last time I renewed was with version 6 free. It renewed for one year from the time of renewal, not from the actual time of expiration. With free, no big deal, but if I had a commercial version that wouldn't fly. But it may not be an issue now with 7, I don't know. The early and continual notices to renew always have seemed a little excessive to me, but with the free version I just renew and forget about it.

avast always honoured the expiry date, al you needed to do wass email sales and they can adjust the dates for you.