Author Topic: Mail-scanner also scans non-standard ports ?  (Read 4935 times)

Goner

Mail-scanner also scans non-standard ports ?
« on: December 31, 2004, 11:32:42 AM »
just noticed that Avast also scans mail from other PC's on the LAN that are sending/receiving thru a proxy-program on the server running Avast ... the proxy does not use ports 25 & 110, but 8025 & 8110.

is that the new 'transparent' scanner at work ??
(btw ; i know i can use Avast itself as a mail proxy, looking into that too)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Mail-scanner also scans non-standard ports ?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 12:06:48 PM »
just noticed that Avast also scans mail from other PC's on the LAN that are sending/receiving thru a proxy-program on the server running Avast ... the proxy does not use ports 25 & 110, but 8025 & 8110.

Yes, avast would automatically scan your pop3/smtp/imap traffic if you have Windows XP\2k.

I know i can use Avast itself as a mail proxy, looking into that too

Well, I don't know mail proxies too much.
Probably if you read the MailScanner section in avast4.ini file (see 'Settings' on my signature) you will be able to 'redirect' avast and tweak its behavior. Hope this helps.
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 06:22:10 PM »
It depends on what is coming across the network (copying a file from one system to your own, etc.)?

If you have the Standard Shield sensitivity set to High or Custom, then newly created files will be scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Goner

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 12:24:16 AM »
It depends on what is coming across the network (copying a file from one system to your own, etc.)?
not files, mail ... it actually scans messages (SMTP & POP3) passing thru the server from/to other machines on the network.

Goner

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 12:29:24 AM »
Yes, avast would automatically scan your pop3/smtp/imap traffic if you have Windows XP\2k.
i know, but it surprised me that it also scans non-standard port-numbers ... and even puts in the 'clean' message !

Well, I don't know mail proxies too much.
Probably if you read the MailScanner section in avast4.ini file (see 'Settings' on my signature) you will be able to 'redirect' avast and tweak its behavior. Hope this helps.
yeah, there is a very good description in the Help under "Manual setting of mail protection" ... works like a charm.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 02:49:01 PM »
avast! scans the mails when they enter/leave the server with the proxy - the mail proxy is connecting to the port 110 or 25 on the remote host, and these are standard ports.

But you can configure avast! to scan non standard ports as well if you would like to - please search the forum for PopRedirectPort / SmtpRedirectPort.

Lukas.

Goner

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 12:08:57 AM »
avast! scans the mails when they enter/leave the server with the proxy - the mail proxy is connecting to the port 110 or 25 on the remote host, and these are standard ports.
ah, OK !! that explains it ... thanks !